• First train journey on $1.3 billion rail-line

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by David Benton

Font Size: Decrease Increase Print Page: Print December 23, 2007
WESTERN Australia's new $1.32 billion Perth to Mandurah rail-line has officially opened.

About 1500 passengers boarded the first train to make the inaugural journey from the new Perth underground station to the regional city of Mandurah, south of Perth.

WA Premier Alan Carpenter said the Perth-to-Mandurah railway was the state's biggest-ever public infrastructure undertaking.

"This railway becomes part of a 105km public transport spine for our city, from Clarkson to Mandurah, helping thousands of people link more easily with friends an family, jobs, education and enjoyment," Mr Carpenter said.

"It will also create new, less car-dependent residential areas and help generate new commercial development along its route."

Planning and Infrastructure Minister Alannah MacTiernan said the rail journey would become a must-do for visitors to WA.

"With stunning views of the Swan and Canning Rivers and the bushland along the route, together with the attractions of Mandurah's beaches and foreshore, inevitably the railway trip will become a must do for visitors to WA," Ms MacTiernan said.

The new line, which stretches 74km is expected to carry 50,000 passengers each working day and take up to 21,000 cars off the Kwinana Freeway.

The line has taken six years to build at a cost of $1.32 billion, troubled by delays and cost blowouts.

Ms MacTiernan said the opening was a great moment for the thousands who worked on the transformative projects – from the original planners, engineers and project managers to the tradesman, apprentices and labourers who built it.

"Most of all, this is a magnificent day for the people of the southern suburbs and Mandurah, who never lost enthusiasm for the rail project," she said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 77,00.html

by george matthews

What gauge is the new line? No doubt it is part of the Cape gauge local metro network. Has it been built with the possibility of adopting Standard gauge in the future?

21 Years ago the local network was a very old fashioned diesel system. I gather it has been electrified since then.

by David Benton

pretty sure it would be 1067mm . can't see why they would need to adopt standard gauge for a suburban line . unlikely the standard gauge will be extended at all form what i can see .

As for the antiquated diesel trains , well theyre still running daily service , in auckland , nz !

by george matthews

David Benton wrote:pretty sure it would be 1067mm . can't see why they would need to adopt standard gauge for a suburban line . unlikely the standard gauge will be extended at all form what i can see .

As for the antiquated diesel trains , well theyre still running daily service , in auckland , nz !
They didn't strike me as having any re-sale value. Could Auckland not have found something better? Or were they free to anyone who would take them away?

by David Benton

not free , i think i recall about $ 10 million been the price . they actually done well , been running around 10 years now , and have had a cosmetic rebuild . you wouldnt think they were 30 or so years old to look at them .

by David Benton

not free , i think i recall about $ 10 million been the price . they actually done well , been running around 10 years now , and have had a cosmetic rebuild . you wouldnt think they were 30 or so years old to look at them .