• first time on the metro - videography rules?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by radioboy

Hello all

I'll be heading down to DC to document the large protests taking place on March 19. I'll be traveling with a DVX100 video camera. I was wondering if someone could give me some insight regarding photography/videography rules on the Metro system? I'll be taking it from Union Station to Metro Center to Federal Triangle.

Also, any good sights to watch out for along that route, or will I be mostly underground?

by Robert Paniagua

Actually the stretch you're using is all underground and none goes out to surface. Videography on WMATA is fine but only at Stations and you can't film in tunnels either amid 9/11 reasons.

by WMATAGMOAGH

Robert Paniagua wrote:Actually the stretch you're using is all underground and none goes out to surface. Videography on WMATA is fine but only at Stations and you can't film in tunnels either amid 9/11 reasons.
I'm jumping in a bit late here but taking video recordings on the Metro is ILLEGAL without prior permission. Only still photography for personal purposes is allowed without contacting media relations, and one may not use a flash or tripod or other such equipment.

by Robert Paniagua

Oh wow, I didn't know that, I've been filming on WMATA all along, and have never had a problem videoing, so that must be new then. and I bet ya that videoing policy is hardly if at all enforced, but however, i wouldn't take a chance now that you just mentioned it, but I still take pictures of WMATA.

by WMATAGMOAGH

Robert Paniagua wrote:Oh wow, I didn't know that, I've been filming on WMATA all along, and have never had a problem videoing, so that must be new then. and I bet ya that videoing policy is hardly if at all enforced, but however, i wouldn't take a chance now that you just mentioned it, but I still take pictures of WMATA.
From nycsubway.org, quoting http://www.wmata.com/about/parp_docs/UseRegulations.pdf:
Still photography that does not require a tripod, special lighting, film crews, models, impair the normal ingress/egress, or operation of Authority services, and can be accomplished by a hand-held camera by one person is not regulated.
It should be noted that photography of any kind is not permitted at the Pentagon Station or the adjoining bus terminal, due to rules laid out by the Department of Defense.

by Robert Paniagua

Ok I see now, and yes, that Pentagon Policy has been a long-standing policy which was even in effect long before 9/11, and besides, I'd rather not mess around the area either, I'm always in my best behaviour there at Pentagon, I use that station to switch from Blue to Yellow.