• final year

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

by 56-57

Anyone out there with any info regarding the last year or so of the CNJ operations? There was a 1972 article in TRAINS that mentioned they were to be an ICC testbed for new work rules, yard ops, and I believe also tarriffs. Did anything like this ever happen, or was it all just bushwah? And did they ever come close to making a profit at the end, like the LV?

Thanks again.

Mike

by Lehigh Valley Railroad

April 1st 1976...

by rushhour

or as some like to say.........

APRIL FOOLS 1976 :D

by Camelback

The Jersey Central presented its "blue print for survival" during its last bankruptcy. Their hope was for a government takeover of their commuter service and the CNJ would re-invent itself as a terminal railroad, focusing on their Sea-Land intermodal terminal in Elizabethport. They planned on dropping much of their mainline to whatever agency took over their commuter service and keeping the more industrial portions which would best fit into their vision of a terminal railroad.

I think the plan was a good one. But the government created Conrail instead.

by Ken W2KB

I a sense, it worked out that way with NJ Transit purchasing the CNJ mainline in NJ.

by 56-57

Thanks for the input.

Mike