• Fillmore, CA - Fillmore & Western

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by The S.P. Caboose

This railroad has also been used in the movies (i.e. Seabiscut).

by pennsy

Hi Fellas,

Checked out the website of the Fillmore and Western, and looks like they are really interested in food and drink on the trains. Can't get a roster or photo of their rolling stock and engines. So my question is, Are there any steamers available on the F & W ? Every photo I have seen of this short line has a diesel on the point.

by Christian S.

Hi Pennsy,

To my knowledge, the Fillmore & Western has utilized three different steam locomotives over the years.

Great Western 2-8-0 #51 was leased to Short Line Enterprises (the company that operates the Fillmore & Western) in the early 1990s by its long-time owner, John Birmingham. It ran occasionally over the railroad during special events and for movie work until it was taken out of service in 2000. In April 2003 the locomotive was shipped to the Boulder Scientific Co. facility at Mead, Colorado to have its boiler repaired. At this point it is unknown where #51 will operate once the repairs are completed.
The railroad currently owns and operates an H.K. Porter 1891 0-4-0T locomotive, the "Sespe" #1. This engine is too small for regular excursion service, and is only under steam for special events, charters, and movie work.

Recently, the California Locomotive Preserve acquired a former Duluth & Northeastern Baldwin 2-8-0 locomotive and moved it to the Fillmore & Western in 2000 for restoration to active service. This locomotive has not been under steam in over 40 years, and restoration is expected to exceed $300,000.

For more information on the three F&W steam locomotives, feel free to visit any of the following links:

Great Western #51's page on SteamLocomotive.info
"Sespe" #1's page on SteamLocomotive.info
Duluth & Northeastern #14's page on SteamLocomotive.info
Fillmore & Western Steam page on Trainweb.org
California Locomotive Preserve homepage

Hope this helps,
Christian S.

by pennsy

Hi,

Good information, Thanks.

Bottom line is: No steam locomotives in operation or service as of this date on the Fillmore and Western.