Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Head-end View

It seems there was an incident at Farmingdale station this evening. Anybody have details?
  by Trainmaster5

According to the MTA website a train struck a car there earlier in the evening.
  by SwingMan

Got plowed by the worst possible train..2070.
  by Head-end View

Why is 2070 the worst possible train?
  by SwingMan

Head-end View wrote:Why is 2070 the worst possible train?

Its nicknamed the "Ronkonkoma Rocket"; The reason? Only stops at Hicksville and Central Islip on its trip to KO. So its not slowing down for Farmingdale. Although that isn't the fatest possible area on the Main Line, you still shouldn't go around the gates on LI. Trains take around than a minute and a half to pass. Use your heads people! Hopefully no one was killed in this incident, and that the crew is okay.
  by geico

lirr415 wrote:

Its nicknamed the "Ronkonkoma Rocket"; The reason? Only stops at Hicksville and Central Islip on its trip to KO. So its not slowing down for Farmingdale. Although that isn't the fatest possible area on the Main Line, you still shouldn't go around the gates on LI. Trains take around than a minute and a half to pass. Use your heads people! Hopefully no one was killed in this incident, and that the crew is okay.
Known by most commuters as the 5:41 on Track 19 (usually). This train flies down the mainline, generally you won't get any braking till remotely close to CI.
  by SwingMan

geico wrote:
lirr415 wrote:

Known by most commuters as the 5:41 on Track 19 (usually). This train flies down the mainline, generally you won't get any braking till remotely close to CI.

Well there's a lot more braking than just coming into KO..unless they've figured out how to do 80 through Jamaica :P.
  by geico

lirr415 wrote:
Well there's a lot more braking than just coming into KO..unless they've figured out how to do 80 through Jamaica :P.
I meant after Hicksville.
  by HBLR

I've been out into nassau county with friends during my college years, they do have some really stupid grade crossings, like the one in Bethpage, what were they thinking??? Is there no way to put that line up over those 2 crossings?
  by freightguy

I've been out into nassau county with friends during my college years, they do have some really stupid grade crossings, like the one in Bethpage, what were they thinking??? Is there no way to put that line up over those 2 crossings?

Got a few bucks to spare?