Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I noticed now that George Chaisson's fare zone list is missing Forest Hills and Kew Gardens-in Zone 1a.
The old Montauk Branch to LIC included all stations between Richmond Hill and LI City in zone 1b.

I always found the Richmond Hill station interesting-it was the first and only high-level platform in strictly diesel territory until Hicksville opened around 1963-64 until electrification reached it in 1970. Then it retained this distinction until high level platforms were built at Bay Shore and the Port Jefferson Branch stations from Greenlawn east in the 80s. As many know RH closed in 1998 when the C3s went into service-it was serving just two trains each day at its end - AM W and PM E to/from Oyster Bay.
Observations from MACTRAXX
  by kuzzel540

Found an old picture of LIRR seat checks.

by MACTRAXX

Kuzzel: These are basically 60s era seat checks...but I also remember them used in the 70s also...MACTRAXX
  by workextra

What was the punching procedure for the above shown seat checks?
Were crews supposed to punch they "day number" in addition to the number of passengers in the the seat section in the top portion of the seat check?
  by keyboardkat

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: I noticed now that George Chaisson's fare zone list is missing Forest Hills and Kew Gardens-in Zone 1a.
The old Montauk Branch to LIC included all stations between Richmond Hill and LI City in zone 1b.

I always found the Richmond Hill station interesting-it was the first and only high-level platform in strictly diesel territory until Hicksville opened around 1963-64 until electrification reached it in 1970. Then it retained this distinction until high level platforms were built at Bay Shore and the Port Jefferson Branch stations from Greenlawn east in the 80s. As many know RH closed in 1998 when the C3s went into service-it was serving just two trains each day at its end - AM W and PM E to/from Oyster Bay.
Observations from MACTRAXX
I wish they'd kept the upper Montauk branch service. For some of those little used stations, a full high platform treatment would not have been necessary. A few steps up to a short one-door-width landing at car floor level would have sufficed (as Metro North did with its Breakneck Ridge station). That one door could have been operated manually by a conductor or trainman with a key. There was something almost semi-rural about some of that line near Forest Park. And the loss of that service also meant the demise of some small businesses (delis, newstands, luncheonettes, etc.) that served the passengers who used those stations
  by LongIslandTool

The seat checks in the photo (Forms ADL 6277) are on auction on ebay.