• Far Rockaway station demolished

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by R36 Combine Coach

The latest Streetview confirms the Far Rockaway station (built 1958) has been demolished in 2020. Built in 1958,
it has been closed for years without an agent or open waiting room.
  by Pensyfan19

Does anyone know what the replacement station will look like? (Or by a long shot, have a direct connection with the A train?) I believe I remember hearing something about the freight siding there being rebuilt, so maybe that has to do with this project.
  by Head-end View

Yes, Nameoke Ave.
  by Head-end View

Built circa 1958, that is sooo 1950's like in its construction. Just a purely functional square box with no aesthetics or architecture at all. A lot of stuff built in the 1950's had that style or lack of it.
  by Kelly&Kelly

New station in 1958, designed by Raymond Loewy. To the right is the soon-to-be-demolished ROCK Tower. To build this station, the track approach was lowered and over-grade bridge removed, but to this day the curb still follows the tower's outline. In the 1980's Nameoke Avenue was raised five feet in front of the station. - Win Boerkel's photo.
  by Head-end View

Great photo of that transitional period on the Far Rockaway Branch. :-D
  by R36 Combine Coach

Loewy did do a lot of contract work at PRR, including the GG1s and streamlined diesels, but is well known
for the postwar Studebakers (1953-1966), which were rehashed by Brooks Stevens (of Milwaukee Road and
F-M fame) in the 1964 model year.

Of course his R40 was a flop and safety hazard, quickly reworked by Sundberg-Ferar (under MTA chairman Ronan) into a modified version that became the basis for the R42.
  by BuddR32

nyandw wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:29 pm
Head-end View wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:43 pm Yes, Nameoke Ave.

Thank you. As of 8/2019: Google maps. View N. Anyone know the raze date?

Closest date I have is September 13, 2020. I was there that night and it was largely cleared away and the demo equipment was still there with more debris removal to do.
  by BuddR32

Pensyfan19 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:36 am Does anyone know what the replacement station will look like? (Or by a long shot, have a direct connection with the A train?) I believe I remember hearing something about the freight siding there being rebuilt, so maybe that has to do with this project.
No connection to the IND-A, not a chance. Also, the freight siding remains unchanged.
  by Kelly&Kelly

There's a dispute over the replacement as the City of New York will not pay for it, as is the agreement with NYC stations. As the area is the most crime-ridden in the system, the Railroad is hesitant to build anything there that will obstruct the view of the platform from the street or that will require policing. You may eventually see an overhead canopy shelter with no seats.

The old station had been set afire several times and had become inhabited by squatters, whom the police would not eject.
  by Teutobergerwald

The LIRR should just make Far Rock a highly-secured storage yard, with the first stop being Inwood. No reason for a station there.
  by Head-end View

K&K, I don't understand what you said about NYC paying/not paying for a new station. Is the agreement with the City that they will pay for LIRR stations in the City or that they won't?

If the City is obligated to pay as per an existing agreement, and they refuse to honor that, than I agree the LIRR should just close the station permanently and make Inwood the final station on the Branch.