• Fail… Just Fail…

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by John_Perkowski

There’s an Amtrak train master down in the South who needs to be fired.

Exhibit A…

by charlesriverbranch

What is a "mandatory calendar day inspection"? What is getting inspected, and by whom?
  by STrRedWolf

John_Perkowski wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:47 am There’s an Amtrak train master down in the South who needs to be fired.

Exhibit A…

https://twitter.com/amtrakalerts/status ... bd2ro4D5DA
Ether a train master who needed to inspect it early while the train was overnighting, or a scheduler who needed to send down spare equipment.
  by Railjunkie

A calendar day inspection is not done by a train master nor is it checked by one. The inspections are done by mechanical forces and signed off by the mechanical foreman. The inspections include things like brakes, head lights, train control (cab signal ACSES I-ETMS) and the nuts and bolts of the locomotive right down to the toilet. It runs for a calendar day. So lets say the locomotive was signed off by the foreman at 1205am 6/21/23 it will need another calendar day before 2359 6/22/23 thus giving you 48 hours of operating time. IF the calendar day expires while enroute the locomotive turns into a pumpkin and can no longer be used. This goes for any locomotive in the consist, checking ones paperwork before departing your originating terminal and crew change points is something every engineer does or should do. Guess this slipped through the cracks.
Engineers can do calendar day inspections but that opens a whole new section of the rule book and will involve buses.
  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:57 pm A calendar day inspection is not done by a train master nor is it checked by one. The inspections are done by mechanical forces and signed off by the mechanical foreman. The inspections include things like brakes, head lights, train control (cab signal ACSES I-ETMS) and the nuts and bolts of the locomotive right down to the toilet. It runs for a calendar day. So lets say the locomotive was signed off by the foreman at 1205am 6/21/23 it will need another calendar day before 2359 6/22/23 thus giving you 48 hours of operating time. IF the calendar day expires while enroute the locomotive turns into a pumpkin and can no longer be used. This goes for any locomotive in the consist, checking ones paperwork before departing your originating terminal and crew change points is something every engineer does or should do. Guess this slipped through the cracks.
Engineers can do calendar day inspections but that opens a whole new section of the rule book and will involve buses.
Who said it was the train master's responsibility to inspect it? It would be the train master's responsibility to hold the train at the terminal so that mechanical can inspect it on that calendar day... as well as request a spare to be sent so that service is not disrupted.

But we can agree, someone's getting fired.
  by John_Perkowski

I didn’t say it was his job to inspect it, but it is his job to ensure Mechanical is supporting Operations.
  by Railjunkie

It actually boils down to whom ever moved the train from either the inspection point or if the engine or engines were changed before the train was dispatched to the station. That is were the error should have first been caught. As I said paperwork needs to be checked FOR THE PROPER DATES AND UNDERSTOOD BEFORE we move anything. PERIOD.

Any manager on duty will do in this case first choice is the mechanical foreman if it is still within their facility. Once its in the station its on to the RFE as we are dealing with a engine or engines. If none are on duty then one can go to a train master, no train master then its a call to CNOC.

Again RFEs and train masters have nothing to with when a engine gets inspected. They only come into play when stuff goes sideways as in this occasion

Mr Wolf
To answer your question of who said,
"Ether a train master who needed to inspect it early while the train was overnighting, or a scheduler who needed to send down spare equipment" #1624400
  by Railjunkie

John_Perkowski wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:39 am I didn’t say it was his job to inspect it, but it is his job to ensure Mechanical is supporting Operations.
Actually Mr Perkowski the last time we had a RFE tell a Mechanical Foreman how to do his job and how to handle his employees a small skirmish broke out between T&E and mechanical forces. They never last long as the boots on the ground will talk it out and come to a common ground.

I work a yard job in Albany and once I make that north facing train face south, back into the Rennselaer shop and clear the "goal post" T&E has nothing to do with it. Not until they finish all necessary inspections and tell us its ready to be dispatched. Perhaps in other parts of the country T&E may move stuff about in mechanical facilities, but Amtrak has special locomotive licenses for that too. However inspections are totally on the QMPs of the mechanical department, scheduled by the mechanical department signed off by the mechanical department.