Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Alcoman

How many survive with the 244 engine intact?
who has them?

Here is what I come up with so far:

600 WNYHS
604 Feather River in CA ?
610 WMRyHS
Any others?

by M1 9147

618 now in Danbury still has the engine intact. 602 also, but I don't know where it is. 604 also has it, and I believe it is somewhere in Illinois now.

by emfinite

617 is the one in Danbury.

by DutchRailnut

and 617 only has a Cummins Hep unit in it no more ALCO

by ATK

618 is in Old Saybrook and still has its 244 engine in it. The RMNE is in process of restoring the locomotive. Once completed, it will emerge as an operable FA1 -- New Haven 0401.

http://www.rmne.org

by EDM5970

601 and 602 are in NJ, with 244H engines intact.

by Richard Glueck

601 and 602 are in the process of being restored by a private owner. When they emerge they will be something amazing to see. These are ex-L&N FA2's. He also owns a pair of FA1's. I have yet to see any of the ex-LIRR locos fully restored, but we owe a great deal to the people who purchased the and sold them off to conservators. There are a few still being neglected, like on the ex-WM units in upstate NY. Instead of letting them rot, it might be better to release them to somebody who can undertake a restoration process at this time.

by Alcoman

EDM5970,
What are these going to be restored as? Is this in addition to number 603 ?

by EDM5970

601 and 602 are slated to be lettered and detailed as PRR units. 611 and 614 are going to eventually become LNE units. I understand that 603, which is owned by ARHS, is going to become an LV unit.

by Alcoman

Does # 611 and 614 contain thier 244 engines?
  by trainspot

Also interesting that none of the ex-SP&S kept their 244s(all rebuilt)
, making 618 (NH 0401) the only FA-1 to still have a 244. 603 also has its 244 still.

by EDM5970

611 and 614 were converted to Detroit skids by LIRR. 611 had an alternator fire and the LIRR removed the Detroit before the current owner purchased the unit. 614 came complete; it's batteries were even used to start 602! The Detroit skid was removed from 614 this past summer.
  by trainspot

Since I know most of the people on this thread, I'd like to wish all of you a happy & safe holiday season! Tim