• F59PHIs

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Backshophoss

The 710 was the last known EMD engine design,after the sale by GM to Cat,there's been a push to use Cat Engine designs,to meet the Tier IV
requirements.
Was the "1010" an EMD design from the "ashes" of 710 tier IV testing?
  by NorthWest

The 1010J arose from the ashes of the 6000 HP 265H program.

The F125 is designed to at least theoretically reach 125 MPH and so keeping weight down was a large part of the design so the high speed C175 was used. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any medium-speed-prime-mover locomotives designed to exceed around 110 MPH.
  by Backshophoss

Makes me think Cat was trying to "uprate" and "upsize" their highest HP Class 8 truck engine design.
Or an engine design used in their Mining Dump Trucks.
  by Gilbert B Norman

With the "changing of the Guard" over at GE, here is discussion of such and their continuation of building locomotives:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=165572" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"They're staying in" says the consensus, but since the CAT acquisition of EMD "hasn't exactly" been a resounding success. could we be looking at the day when there is no longer a US sourced railroad locomotive - freight or passenger notwithstanding.
  by electricron

Gilbert B Norman wrote:With the "changing of the Guard" over at GE, here is discussion of such and their continuation of building locomotives:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=165572" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"They're staying in" says the consensus, but since the CAT acquisition of EMD "hasn't exactly" been a resounding success. could we be looking at the day when there is no longer a US sourced railroad locomotive - freight or passenger notwithstanding.
Considering the number of factories building locomotives in the USA, I can't visualize no US sources for a long time to come. Consider the vast number of locomotives running in the USA today:
BNSF = 6,400
UP = 8,721
CSX = 3,600
NS = 4,268
I didn't add CN or CP to the list because many of their locomotives don't run in the USA and I couldn't find a number for KCS quickly. Most of the data listed above were from 2007 sources at Wiki. Many of the freight companies have over 1,000 locomotives in storage scattered around their lines. Never the less, with close to 20,000 locomotives plying USA tracks, there's going to be a lucrative market for new ones for a long time to come.
  by Alcochaser

Don't forget that NS has the resources to pretty much build their own locos as well.
  by BandA

Has communist China entered the American locomotive market?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Well Mr. B&A, considering the number of worldwide railroad ventures they have jumped into of late, would you be surprised?
  by eolesen

Back to the topic.... the F59PHI's fate.

Metra just added a couple of F59's to its fleet in the last year. At the right price, seeing them pick up a few F59PHI's might not be out of the question.
  by Backshophoss

The ex-GOT units have been "Shop Queens" for a while,just barely seen any service on METRA trains. :wink:
  by electricron

Backshophoss wrote:The ex-GOT units have been "Shop Queens" for a while,just barely seen any service on METRA trains. :wink:
Of course they are "Shop Queens" or more appropriately "Standby Queens", METRA hasn't taken them in for refurbishment. Transit agencies that did take them into shops for heavy maintenance are running them everyday without problems. GO, like Amtrak, have run them down well, and they have let them go major maintenance is needed.
TRE, NCDOT, and Metrolink took their F59s in for heavy maintenance, basically rebuilding their diesels. They expect years of trouble free use.
Last edited by electricron on Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by AgentSkelly

I know with the Cascades units, they had problems with them since WSDOT got them...I think one of them caught on fire in 1997?
  by east point

eolesen wrote:Back to the topic.... the F59PHI's fate.

Metra just added a couple of F59's to its fleet in the last year. At the right price, seeing them pick up a few F59PHI's might not be out of the question.
That may be Metra's only option. That is based on their published financial difficulties.
  by MPX

What about the CDTX unit(s) that were rebuilt with the 710ECO? Has the rebuilding improved the performance?
  by NorthWest

They are more reliable than before their rebuilds and burn cleaner (which was the primary goal).