Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by checkthedoorlight

Here's a little bit of train trivia which I posted on another board a couple days ago, related to the discussion here:

as of the current schedule, there are only 50 minutes a day where Metro North is not active: 340-430AM. The last eastbound train arrives at New Haven at 340AM and the first westbound train leaves New Haven at 430AM. With the new schedule effective next month, it will be 30 minutes a day.

there are only 20 minutes a day when Metro North is not active at all, as there is a deadhead/employee train that leaves Croton-Harmon at 4AM, bound for Poughkeepsie. There is a Boston-bound Amtrak train during this 20 minute break between Stamford and New Haven, and there is likely freight running on at least the Hudson line, so RTC is working 24 hours a day.

of all the lines, the Danbury branch gets the most sleep. No trains between 1215AM and 534AM. The Waterbury branch comes in second, with no trains between 1225AM and 545AM. Yes, that's a one minute difference.

by MNRR_RTC

Nester wrote:
MNRR_RTC wrote:With all the track work going on lately, the extended service will make things a little more interesting for me to work. I like the idea of having later service, so I don't it. I just feel bad for the track guys who have to wait an extra hour to get to work when it' nasty outside.
Wouldn't that really depend on which project you're talking about? Trains move even when they aren't in revenue service.

Nester
Well Nester, this week there is another long term track outage going into effect between CP 212 and CP 216. There may be another long term outage between Stamford and South Norwalk later on in the year. When you have projects like that, many times you need to run opposite sides between Harrison and Mount Vernon while the work is being done on the adjacent tracks to the out of service portion. After 1502, usually, all 4 trks go out. This allows the work to be done and lets the crews clear up before the M-Form expires. When you have to wait for the later train, it takes the crews that much longer to get the work done. There is also wire work going on between CP 217 and CP 223. Usually 3 of the 4 trks go out . I am probably not explaining my self well but lets just say that it will be a little more trickier for me to plan my work. I can always hold a deadhead for a while the work gets done. I don't have that flexibility with a revenue train. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that mores trains are running. I will just have to be more careful how I plan my work as to not needlessly cause delays.

by checkthedoorlight

MNRR_RTC wrote:week there is another long term track outage going into effect between CP 212 and CP 216.
Speaking of which, is track 1 finally back in service between MVE and Pelham? I thought I actually saw trains using it yesterday....lemme guess, it's track 2's turn now?

by Nester

MNRR_RTC wrote: Well Nester, this week there is another long term track outage going into effect between CP 212 and CP 216. There may be another long term outage between Stamford and South Norwalk later on in the year. When you have projects like that, many times you need to run opposite sides between Harrison and Mount Vernon while the work is being done on the adjacent tracks to the out of service portion. After 1502, usually, all 4 trks go out. This allows the work to be done and lets the crews clear up before the M-Form expires. When you have to wait for the later train, it takes the crews that much longer to get the work done. There is also wire work going on between CP 217 and CP 223. Usually 3 of the 4 trks go out . I am probably not explaining my self well but lets just say that it will be a little more trickier for me to plan my work. I can always hold a deadhead for a while the work gets done. I don't have that flexibility with a revenue train. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that mores trains are running. I will just have to be more careful how I plan my work as to not needlessly cause delays.
In a situation like that, I can see how an extra train can make things hairy. But you hit the nail on the head -- the project will still be completed, but now it will take longer. Thanks for taking the time to explain it -- it makes more sense now.

Nester

by MNRR_RTC

No problem Nester, more than happy to explain.
As the the next outage, Checkthedoorlight, it is supposed to be trk 4CP 212 to CP 216. It is, I believe, for the finishing tocuhes on the new CP 215 that scheduled to be cut in a few weeks. Like anything else in life on the railroad, that well may change.