• Expanding SEPTAs region West to Reading and Harrisburg

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Sean@Temple

Sorry for straying even more off topic, but you will never see a rail connection between York and Baltimore again. There is a rail trail from York to near Cockeysville (the end of the light rail line). Even though one track was left in on the Pa side, once something goes trail it never goes back. It would be well used considering all of the Baltimorians that have moved up to York in the past decade to leap past MD's greenbelt and expensive housing. I think a riverline type operation (electric would be great but diesel more likely) would be amazing between Harrisburg and York. I don't know ridership numbers but I would love to hit the town in Harrisburg then take a train (light or otherwise) home.

Corridor One is useless. The initial grand plan was fine but why put commuter rail on a corridor that already has good service. If you want to provide more service for Harrisburg, contract with Amtrak to provide another trip or two. They might be able to do it with existing equipment, or through a P42 up there to run a round trip. I agree with most here that capital funds could be spent in much better places.

Sean

One more thing... Completely unfeasible but I would love to see a rail shuttle from lancaster to york like used to run, way back in the day. If you go far enough back, the PRR ran its through trains from Philly to Washington via Lancaster and York, if memory serves. Oh well.
  by AlexC

Bring this thread BACK on topic, and SEPTA/PATCO appropriate.

I hate to lock threads because of that, so here is your warning.
  by delvyrails

Legislation has been proposed at various times to expand SEPTA's jurisdiction beyond the present five-county area, but nothing has ever come of those attempts.

The political reality is that the outer counties by and large do not want to be taxed any more than they are now for their local bus operations. (Remember, "all politics are local".) Since there has never been any agreement on paying for the operating subsidy even for Schuylkill Valley service west of Norristown, it's even less likely that local funding would be found for much more outlying services.
  by Suburban Station

Sean@Temple wrote: One more thing... Completely unfeasible but I would love to see a rail shuttle from lancaster to york like used to run, way back in the day. If you go far enough back, the PRR ran its through trains from Philly to Washington via Lancaster and York, if memory serves. Oh well.
why is it infeasible? this is the sort of thing that is, currently, more pressing than extending SEPTA's operating territory. SEPTA already has its hands full trying to "catch up" with deferred maintenance and parking problems on its existing network.You suggestion is exactly the sort of short term (and perhaps long term) solution that Amtrak and PennDOT need to consider. There is currently a lack of parking at all stations along this corridor. while there is service to Harrisburg via york, it seems to me that a rail shuttle from york to lancaster would shave off nearly half an hour (travelling the hypotenuse). From a Philadelphia perspective, it cuts off enough time I might actually go to york for a day. In the long run, they can add parking but a rail shuttle could be added relatively quickly.
  by CarterB

From City of York, PA council minutes:
"Resolution No. 69, Session 2007, A Resolution in support of the extension of Rail service from Baltimore, MD to the City of York, was introduced by Musso, read at length, and on motion of Musso, seconded by Smallwood, Resolution No. 69 came up for discussion.

Vice President Musso explained his position on sponsoring this Resolution. He said he has been researching this proposal for quite some time. Vice President Musso believes a Commuter Rail, whether by light or heavy rail, from the City of Baltimore, MD to York, PA, and eventually to Harrisburg, would stimulate commerce and allow for the uninterrupted flow of people and goods along a corridor that is quickly becoming one of the fastest growing areas of the United States. The basic idea is that a Commuter Rail line to Penn Station in Baltimore would link commuters to alternate modes of travel including the Acela Express high speed rail, which offers hourly service to downtown during peak morning and afternoon rush hours between Washington DC, Philadelphia, New York and Boston. Furthermore, he explained, the County of York currently owns the existing rail line and right-of-way from the City of York to the Maryland line, thereby eliminating both the time and cost of land acquisition or the use of eminent domain. Vice President Musso said he has received support from as far away as Portland, Oregon for this initiative.

As for the funding aspect of this proposal, Vice President Musso asked that the Governors of Pennsylvania and Maryland consider convening a Bi-state Task Force consisting of the public and private sector, environmental organizations, local economic and community organizations and statewide commuter and freight agencies, to begin to define the feasibility and costs of the project. Additionally, this Resolution calls on our federal, state and local legislators to provide grant dollars to fund the studies necessary to adequately evaluate the possibilities of the aforementioned commuter rail extension.

President Texter commended Vice President Musso for thinking outside the box and initiating a proposal that would add to the growth and convenience of commuters to and from York. President Texter suggested that the York County Commissioners be involved in discussions based on their past history and experience in developing and strategizing projects of this magnitude.

Matt Jackson, Director of Economic Development, said the Brenner Administration supports this Resolution as it ties in with Mayor Brenner’s fuel-efficient transportation planning efforts. He said we realize this will be a difficult challenge and that funding will be an issue. With collaboration from all entities mentioned, this could be workable project, he said.

There being no further discussion, Resolution No. 69 passed by the following vote: Yeas – Washington, Musso, Smith, Smallwood, Texter – 5; Nays – 0."