• Exits and platform gaps at Metropark

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by drewh

Why doesn't Amtrak and NJT fix the curve at MET so there isn't such a gap between the train and the platform?? Seems quite dangerous to me, especially for elderly and children, not to mention during inclement weather. Has there ever been any talk of this??

Also why doesn't NJT try to make it easier to exit from the Westbound platform?? It would seem a simple matter to add an overhead walkway directly to the 2 parking garages.

Compared to some other stations (like the newly configured Stamford station for example), MET is a disgrace considering the number of people it serves.

by Mudvalve

Metropark was suppose to be worked on some time ago. I know new platforms and a brand new waiting area/ticket area was to be constructed to the west end of the eastbound platform at track level. I believe Amtrak, NJT and the State were all going to provide money, but I haven't heard anything more about it since it was first announced, not sure when that was.

At any rate MET is in some real need to be improved.

by Irish Chieftain

There has also been "talk" about Amtrak converting the catenary voltage/frequency to 25kV/60Hz on the NEC...but that was not done for the same reason the curve at Metropark was not straightened; low budget appropriations from Congress. It would be nice to straighten out all the curves on the NEC within the NJ borders (the reverse-curve at Elizabeth comes to mind as readily as those in the Iselin/Metuchen area) but just about all of the administrations in Washington since Amtrak's inception are hostile to not just Amtrak but passenger rail in general.

IIRC, Woodbridge station on the NJCL has the same gapping problem due to the platform being on a curve. At other locations on the NEC where the high platform is on a straight stretch of track, there is a gap that serves to accommodate freight car clearance.

If a passenger has a problem bridging the gap between train and platform by stepping over it (and the larger gap is at the center doors on Arrows and Comet III+), call the conductor or trainman to get the bridge plate is what I suggest.

by transit383

Wasn't there talk of installing island platforms at Metropark with the reconstruction of the platforms? This would allow for all four tracks to have platform access. I seem to recall someone stating that on the old forums.

by drewh

Actually at MET the problem appears to be less from the curve, than from the fact that the outer rail is lowered - I suppose to accomodate faster speeds thru the curve.

Why can't they just even the rails so they are both level?? How much speed on this track is ever achieved since it is a regular Amtrak and NJT stop??

by transit383

drewh wrote:Actually at MET the problem appears to be less from the curve, than from the fact that the outer rail is lowered - I suppose to accomodate faster speeds thru the curve.

Why can't they just even the rails so they are both level?? How much speed on this track is ever achieved since it is a regular Amtrak and NJT stop??
If the outer rail is lowered on one side, then the outer rail on the opposite platform must be raised to compensate. To un-superelevate the curve would call for drastic speed restrictions through the area, most likely on all tracks, not just the track affected. I don't think Amtrak would go for that.

by TAMR213

Transit is correct. That would most likly cause for major speed restricions, which would not fly with Amtrak. Also, it would be very un-practical to straighten the entire curve, or un-superelevate the entire curve, because as I remember, this is a huge curve, so straightening it would cause issuses, or, if the rails were just leveled it would also cause speed restrictions for a pretty long distance, as this curve IIRC streches for a few miles.

by gp40marc69

I hope they fix this problem. I went there to get on the NJTransit NEC train to and from NYP. When I heard that there was a gap in between the train and platform, I though it was a little gap you and I are used to, not like almost 1 1/2 feet wide. Now, I could see somebody losing their footing and falling into the gap and end up suing New Jeresy Transit or Amtrak.

by Olton Hall

The Metorpark plans were put on the shelves a few years ago because of lack of funding at NJT and Amtrak. No island platform as that would require too much track & cat realignment, along with widening the embankement and the Wood Ave. bridge. New and larger station building were planned and an overhead bridge that IIRC did connect with one of the garages. I would walk by the plans on a daily basis and take a peak. I wasn't impressed to be honest.

As noted, the superelevation at the station makes the gap worse as the train doors on west bound trains (west = south for those who don't know) since they are much higher than the platform in addition to the gap. This is in part due to standard railroad maintenance practice. Instead of cleaning ballast, they pile more ballast on the track, retamp, and the track level is raised over time.