• ex-MARC Units Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by sery2831

Since the MARC units are here, it is logical to give them a thread now. This is a continuation of this thread: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 92#p914492

It is rumored that the units will lose the gyro lights soon and receive ditch lights :( Gets your pics now!
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

sery2831 wrote:Since the MARC units are here, it is logical to give them a thread now. This is a continuation of this thread: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 92#p914492

It is rumored that the units will lose the gyro lights soon and receive ditch lights :( Gets your pics now!
Uh-oh. Does that mean they're already figuring these units are going to stay long-term?
  by MBTA1052

Why the GP40HW-2s going to loose their Gryo Lights is it a call by the MBTA or MPI??
  by scrook

Or FRA?
  by GP40MC 1116

sery2831 wrote:Since the MARC units are here, it is logical to give them a thread now. This is a continuation of this thread: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 92#p914492

I would have thought the ghyro lights would have been grandfathered in through a waiver by FRA...? They never were forced to change on MARC, why so suddenly on MBTA?
  by Teamdriver

If the gyro is not acceptable,is it a matter of MBTA preference? They are already in service with the gyro so it must be kosher.If not, why werent the lights changed before the units were accepted, just as the old MARC labels were removed or covered. Very interesting!
  by BostonUrbEx

67 in a set with bilevel yesterday at Oak Grove, northbound around ~5:40PM.

67 in same set this morning at Oak Grove, southbound around ~7:20AM.
Last edited by BostonUrbEx on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

It's all about liability, any one who gets hit will sue MBTA because they did not make the units conform with their own standards. Yes the FRA has Gyra lights grandfathered but the courts don't care.
  by diburning

And if history is an indication of anything, BS lawsuits against the MBTA actually succeed.

Is the ditch light installation on MPI's dime or the MBTA's? It seems hardly worth the effort or cost for a 9-month lease (which could be extended)
  by MBTA1052

I'm not sure if its the grey or the red but it goes with the Commuter Rail colors!!But I kind of wonder when they will remove the lights and will the bell be moved into the Gyro Light location??
  by octr202

BostonUrbEx wrote:67 in a set with bilevel yesterday at Oak Grove, northbound around ~5:40PM.

67 in same set this morning at Oak Grove, southbound around ~7:20AM.
67 was on a slightly delayed 231 to Haverhill last night. 927 is the K Car behind the unit. 011 with five flats held down 204 inbound this morning, so it sounds like 67 must have done 206. The only other two inbound that overnight in Bradford take the Wildcat (208 & 212).

The other question about putting ditch lights on is what happens if the gyralight breaks. I'd assume it's the same as no ditchlights (IIRC, limited to 20 mph across grade crossings). Considering I doubt BET stocks spare gyralights or parts there for, might not be a bad idea to add ditchlights. Going to the effort of taking the gyralights out would seem overkill, unless there's an FRA rule that says any lights on the unit must be operational, even if now redundant.

Ironically, I had thought that these might be the most bi-directional passenger units the T's had since the days of Geep 7's and 9's. The GP40WH-2's have gyralights on the rear, and appear to have AAR control stands (not required to operate long hood forward, but probably better).
  by realtype

To quote my post in the old thread:

Well really the gyralights don't actually flash, just rotate, although it would look that way to a person at a station or crossing. MARC's newest cab cars, it's bilevel Kawasakis manufactured in 2000, have them also (placed horizantally) so they might still be legal.

Gyralights on MARC GP40's
Gyralights on MARC III Kawasaki cab car (1)
Gyralights on MARC III Kawasaki cab car (2)
  by MEC407

If the Gyralights are left in place, they have to be operational, otherwise they have to be removed. You could certainly leave them in place AND add ditch lights, and use all three -- headlights, Gyralights, and ditch lights. Any motorist who can't see THAT coming shouldn't be behind the wheel. :P
  by MBTA1052

Yea imagine that Ditchlights and Gyra Lights flashing/alternating and rotating at the same time!! I wonder how they would look at a terminus?? ;)
  by realtype

MBTA1052 wrote:Yea imagine that Ditchlights and Gyra Lights flashing/alternating and rotating at the same time!! I wonder how they would look at a terminus?? ;)
Metra actually does use both gyralights and ditchlights on it's MP36 locomotives and gallery/bilevel cab cars. :-P They only use single gyralights though compared to MARC which uses dual ones.

You would have to be really blind not to see this train coming lol:
Metra MP36 Gyralight

or this one:
Metra cab car gyralight