• EX- Green Bay & Western C424 # 319

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by Alcoman

Question:
When did the LA&L acquire this locomotive?
  by Sandy Burton

John,

My notes say October 2001. I would not swear to the month however.

Hope this helps.

Sandy

by Nova55

All three of the C424s were bought by NY Cross Harbor from CALM in 00', however they put them right back up forsale and never took delivery, thus LAL snatched them up...Cheap im told..

by Luther Brefo

The 319 is the only Pennsylvania Railroad C424 ever built. It was built with trade in parts from a Pennsy RS-27.

by lvrr325

This unit and the two others were GB&W units, I think among the ex-Conrail units rebuilt at Hornell in the early 80s. When the GB&W was sold to Wisconsin Central, or maybe before, they were sold to some short line in Mississippi or Arkansas or somewhere down there along with at least one chop-nose RS2/3 rebuild. That road proceded to beat the living crap out of them; they were in such bad shape they couldn't be interchanged. At least one had thin wheels, and maybe one still would run, but didn't load -it's been a long time to remember all the details.

The RS3m was cut up on site, although it was mostly used for parts. If I remember right the NYCHRR bought them for little more than scrap price. They then discovered how much work would be involved to bring them home, and how expensive, I'm sure, which would be why the quick resale.

I'd forgotten the LA&L bought these units - are they on the property?

In a way, they'll all be coming home again, both to former EL and PRR lines, and with a shot to visit Hornell again too. Seems to me the ex-Guilford/D&H units went through that same Hornell rebuild program, also.

by pablo

Still in Lakeville with two others.

Dave Becker
  by Matt Langworthy

lvrr325 wrote:This unit and the two others were GB&W units, I think among the ex-Conrail units rebuilt at Hornell in the early 80s. When the GB&W was sold to Wisconsin Central, or maybe before, they were sold to some short line in Mississippi or Arkansas or somewhere down there along with at least one chop-nose RS2/3 rebuild. That road proceded to beat the living crap out of them; they were in such bad shape they couldn't be interchanged. At least one had thin wheels, and maybe one still would run, but didn't load -it's been a long time to remember all the details.

The RS3m was cut up on site, although it was mostly used for parts. If I remember right the NYCHRR bought them for little more than scrap price. They then discovered how much work would be involved to bring them home, and how expensive, I'm sure, which would be why the quick resale.

I'd forgotten the LA&L bought these units - are they on the property?

In a way, they'll all be coming home again, both to former EL and PRR lines, and with a shot to visit Hornell again too. Seems to me the ex-Guilford/D&H units went through that same Hornell rebuild program, also.
Three ex-GB&W C424s, including #319, are stored at Lakeville. I don't think any of those three went through the Hornell rebuild program. This source doesn't mention Hornell for the two EL C424s that wound up at GB&W. Nor do either of my Kalmbach guides (one for shortlines, the other for diesels) list them as rebuilds. IIRC, GB&W had its own shops in Green Bay and overhauled the C424s out there. They are still rated for 2400 HP, unlike the C424ms.

P.S. GB&W also rebuilt four RS-3s into RS-3us, not RS-3ms. The RS-3us had 251 prime movers in them and shouldn't be confused with the RS-3ms (built by PC, EL and CR), which were EMD powered.

by Alcoman

The GB&W called them (RS-3u) RS-20's. They were 2,000 hp.

by nydepot

GB&W #319-322 went through Hornell. #323 was a C420 and also went through Hornell. I watched the shops from my bedroom window.

Charles
  by EDM5970

Nydepot is correct, GBW 319 through 323 were all Hornell rebuilds, the last one being a C-420.

Not to nitpick, but there is one error that jumped out at me in the EL roster cited by Matt. GBW 313 was an original GBW unit, not former EL. The 311 through 314 were all built new for GBW, 1963, '64, '65, '65.

The Hornell rebuilds were 319 (PRR 2415/Conrail 2474, now at LAL via Caddo, Antoine & Little Missouri), 320 (EL 2412/Conrail 2486, now at LAL via CALM), 321 (EL 2415/Conrail 2489, now at LAL via CALM), and 322(RDG 5204/Conrail 2493, now at RDG Tech).

The C-420 (GBW 323) was LHR 27, Conrail 2427, and later moved on to Iowa Interstate and LNAC. I'm not sure if it is still at LNAC, I recall LNAC having a sale and perhaps A&M got the unit?

This info is from several sources which all seem to agree, but the most recent is Andrew Nelson's Green Bay and Western Color Pictorial, Four Ways West, January, 2003. An excellent book-
  by Alcoman

EDM5970 wrote:22(RDG 5204/Conrail 2493, now at RDG Tech).

The C-420 (GBW 323) was LHR 27, Conrail 2427, and later moved on to Iowa Interstate and LNAC. I'm not sure if it is still at LNAC, I recall LNAC having a sale and perhaps A&M got the unit?
The C420 is now owned by the broker who helped LNAC sell the units.
John

by Herr Spreng

The GB&W C-420 & C-424's 319-322 were all 'GE Mod' locomotives-as were the 9 C-424'ms done for the D&H.

by EDM5970

I'm sure that everyone reading this thread knows that "Hornell" refers to GE's rebuilding program--- There were also some other Hornell units, 424s redone with 12 cylinders, for D&M (Lake States) as well. Apache got some Hornells, C-420s, IIRC.
  by Matt Langworthy

EDM5970 wrote:I'm sure that everyone reading this thread knows that "Hornell" refers to GE's rebuilding program--- There were also some other Hornell units, 424s redone with 12 cylinders, for D&M (Lake States) as well. Apache got some Hornells, C-420s, IIRC.
The Lake States got C-425ms. They were ex-Pennsy.

by EDM5970

Matt, you are correct, the Lake States units started life as C-425s. My point in originally entering this fray, however, was to point out that the fact that the last four GBW C-424 rebuilds were a product of Hornell and not of Norwood; also that the EL roster had an error-

I can't remember everything, can you?