Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by L'mont

When and why was the decision made to have engineers wear thier own clothes and not uniforms? Are there any dress requierments?

*Note: I'm not suggesting that engineers whould wear uniforms, I'm just wondering what the thought is behind the policy.

by Otto Vondrak

You would have to go back in time about 100 years and ask the New York Central railroad.

Anyone in train and engine service wore clothes they knew would be durable and get dirty from working around steam locomotives full of coal soot and grease. As diesels and electrics replaced steam, the working environment got progressively and relatively "cleaner" and train crews began wearing more comfortable clothing that still offered necessary protection.

European railroads by contrast have always required a uniform of some sort. A friend just came back with pictures of the Irish Railways, and "drivers" (engineers) are required to wear uniforms complete with dress shoes and ties, even in work train (MOW) service!

Aside from proper safety gear (safety glasses, proper shoes- don't know if they require steel-toes), I'm not aware of any dress requirements. I think long pants and closed-toe shoes are always required. Maybe some folks in the know can shed some light?

-otto-

by Clean Cab

It saves MN a fortune and I don't think it'd be too easy to get them (myself included!!) to wear a uniform. Engineers do not interact with the passengers so there is no real need for them to wear uniforms.
  by amtrakhogger

Path enginemen wear a uniform of navy or black polo shirts and slacks.

by L'mont

Well, I agree that with no customer contact a uniform isn't really needed. However, while I think most dress just fine, I do see the occasional T-shirt and that looks sloppy. People notice these things.

As far as getting people to wear a uniform, I managed a staff and we switched to uniforms at one point. People wore them. That was the rules, you do what the management tells you.

by grabber

capecodlocoguy wrote: Engineers do not interact with the passengers so there is no real need for them to wear uniforms.
Personally I think that as a Professional, an Engineer should wear a uniform. Like an Airline Pilot or a Ships Captain, Police Officer. It conveys the professionalism of the craft. It identifies the wearer as a professional deserving of respect.
It also projects the appearance of security and safety that is needed today. There should be a sense of dignity about the position of Engineer and a Uniform would provide it.

by Penn Central

When Metro-North was created back in 1983, they had a consultant design uniforms for the engineers. It included polyster slacks and shirts. It created an immediate controversy when the engineers said that they would not wear them and the company said they would have to. Since it wasn't part of their agreement, and it was going to cost money, the proposal was dropped. You will see engineers wear everything from jeans and t-shirts to a jacket and tie. It is their choice, as long as it conforms with the safety rules.

by grabber

Penn Central wrote: You will see engineers wear everything from jeans and t-shirts to a jacket and tie. It is their choice, as long as it conforms with the safety rules.
Unfortunately there are a few who do not care how they look and frankly are an embarrassment to their craft.
I worked with one who on more than one occasion was mistaken for a homeless person. On one occasion a customer in the main concourse put money in his hand and told him to please buy food with the money. He of course protested, insisting that he had a job and did not need the money but the customer looking at him did not believe him.

by Terminal Proceed

I say let them wear boxer shorts for all anyone cares.

by RedSoxSuck

Terminal Proceed wrote:I say let them wear boxer shorts for all anyone cares.
No, they must wear long pants. :-)

Also, regarding the comment about steel toes earlier, I believe that they are prohibited due to the third rail.

by L'mont

Terminal Proceed wrote:I say let them wear boxer shorts for all anyone cares.
I care, it's a serious job and, like they say, dress the part. I'm not suggesting uniforms, but a shirt with a collor and decent pants shouldn't be too much to ask. Even nice jeans, but t-shirts and generally dirty clothes? Most guys don't fall into that catagory, but some do.

Engineers have an iconic job and should carry themselves accordingly.

by Fred G

Since passengers don't really see them or notice if they do, they're hardly an embarrassment to anyone. I say let them wear what they feel they need to, as long as they get me to my destination on time.

by Patrick A.

I see and know a few MNRR engineers on the NH line and I've seen them wearing mainly jeans and either collared polo sort tees, or in the winter, longer sleeve tees. I once saw an engineer on Halloween with a doctor's scrubs and sthescope on.

Cheers,
Patrick

by Nester

As long as the clothing is safe and (relatively) clean, I don't care.
--
I still know guys (Train Operators) at the TA who are still grumbling about their uniforms, and it's been about 10 years now since the requirement took effect.

by DutchRailnut

Since we pay our own clothes we get to wear what we want as long as its long pants , not loose fitting clothing.
If MNCR wants to provide us with cloths they can set the type of clothing as long as its not polyester.
But if they force us to wear uniforms we need something in return in contract talks.
The cost of uniforms is huge, union would demand company takes care of repair, replacement and cleaning, are you as commuter willing to pay for this, or are you satisfied your ticket price is steady and let me wear what I want.