• Engine silhouttes on the shop doors

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by BM6569

Anyone have pictures of the engine silhouttes on the doors of the Amtrak shops?

My brother was telling me about them and I finally saw the one in Boston over the weekend when I passed by on 93. Think it was a P42? or P40? Would love to see a picture of some of them. I know Rensselaer has one and I think Sunnyside too? I'm sure there are others.
  by CSX Conductor

Sounds like you are referring to the Boston car wash.

The doors on each end have a painting of a Genesis locomotive with the number "1994" on the number boards. The wash was built in 1994 and recently renovated a few years ago. Before it's renovation in 2011/2012 it was operated by an operator who remotely controlled the doors and the wash. Also, Acelas could not be washed. The renovations were done to allow Acelas to be washed and also the wash was made fully automated. However, it's been a giant headache from time to time and just this morning I heard that the wash is currently out of service. If you want a close up view of these doors, go into the old meat market. Widett Circle crosses and parallels the tracks on the loop. :wink: