Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by midnight_ride

http://www.razorapple.com/2007/01/19/a- ... train-era/

A graffiti artist painted an entire 8 car train (plus two cars on another)...

Lots of great pictures linked above. Seems like graffiti (not the scratch and sharpie sh#t, the real full color exterior stuff) is coming back on the NYCTA. Any thoughts?

by L'mont

Yeah, I have a thought. Put those people mauling dogs back in the yards and let them get a taste of the graffit artist.
  by amtrakhogger

They must have had 100 people working on that "tag"!

by midnight_ride

Put those people mauling dogs back in the yards and let them get a taste of the graffit artist.
How'd they keep the dogs from getting cooked on the third rail? :P

The group that hit the train is Made U Look NYC

http://www.madeulooknyc.com

You can buy a video of the hit on the site.

I'm not condoning illegal behavior, but that train looks pretty great.

by arrow

Considering they're stupid enough to not only have a website but to post a video of it on the website I'm sure they can't be all that hard to track down and arrest.

But....maybe I'm just being too optimistic.

by fishtale

from what i understand that's actually a site that the nypd made. but i'm really confused by the whole thing. anyway, i think it's safe to say that the clean train era will continue on.....this train, like almost any other with graffiti on it, did not go into service

by Robert Paniagua

I couldn't believe they pulled it off, that is, by painting the whole 8-car train, I wonder if they would have done a CTC-3 MBCR Kawasaki DoubleDecker Car, which is just as difficult.

Unreal that grafitti has made a comeback after almost 20 years.

by M1 9147

Knowing what happened here, it occured while the train was laid up during the night in the 63rd St. Layup (Broadway Line Portion), so it would of been very difficult for someone to know that these people were there tagging this train. Of coarse things like this won't happen when the 2nd Ave. Line finally opens. Clean train era will still continue as NYCT is even fighting at the scratchitti problem as the current fleet when going in for SMS, will have their windows replaced by types that will be more scratchitti resistant. Tagging will occur on the occasion, and when a train like that is present, it will IMMEDIATELY be taken out of service. You will never see an era like the 70's, and 80's brought to the NYC subway.

by RearOfSignal

midnight_ride wrote:I'm not condoning illegal behavior, but that train looks pretty great.
It wouldn't look pretty great if you were the one who had to clean it.

by F40

It is good that the carbodies are stainless steel. Using industrial paint stripper will leave behind no trace, but the windows are a different story.

by EastCleveland

It's just another indication that the "golden years" of the 1990s (when New York became a sanitized-for-your-protection theme park for tourists, $5 per cup coffee drinkers, and condo buyers from the suburbs) are over. The city is once again v-e-r-y slowly slipping back into decline.

Look around you. The subways, parks, and other public amenities that were so heavily spruced up during the past 10-15 years are now beginning to fall apart due to cheap construction, lack of sustained maintainence, and increasing bureaucratic and public apathy.

Will New York once again become the grim place it was during the 70s? Probably. This city has fallen into decline more than once. The increase in subway graffiti simply shows that the latest cycle of decay has now begun to kick in.

-----------------------------------------

by 3rdrail

I want to kill myself. :(

by Robert Paniagua

Ahhhh.......don't say that :-|

m sure this decay will be reverted to cleanliness in the subways.

by midnight_ride

Truth be told, I was only trying to get a rise out of Paul... :P

by 3rdrail

I feel better now that I told "Made U Look NYC" about a great "natural canvas" on craggy rocks on a certain island off the coast of Maine. :wink: