• Empty Coal in Zero Degrees (Colorado)

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by erielackawanna

Group,

Back in my NJ days, I'd done some pretty cold railfanning, but this shot, taken in Winter Park, Colorado on December 28, 2003 sits in my memory as one of the most painful shots I've ever taken. The temprature was zero degrees farhenheit, but it felt more like 20 below. What really amazed me was how no one waiting trackside for the Ski Train really got out of the way of this empy coal train.

http://freericks.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... id=1277222

Moments after this train passed, I ran back into the ski lodge/train station to regain feeling in my hands.

Thanks for looking and corrections are welcome.

Charles Freericks