• Elizabethport Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by peconicstation

From the map that the link provided it appears that some of the bridges that made up the Wyes are still in place, albiet void of tracks.
In particular the trestle bridge that shore trains would take.

It also appears that the Northwest Wye connection that was used by the
Kearny to Plainfield through train has also been taken out, although that also appears to be the one Wye that could be restored if the need arises.

For a number of years after the main E-port station was destroyed, the station building on Platform N, N as in Newark, was still in place, when was this building removed?

Considering that the huge E-Port station complex was once the "Jamaica Station" of New Jersey, it is surreal to see it as it appears today.

Ken

by Steve F45

were the eport shops more to the north east of the eport station?

by Don31

2005Vdub wrote:were the eport shops more to the north east of the eport station?
Yep.

by Steve F45

red baron wrote:Most of these questions and more are answered here:

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=CNJ
Thanks. I'll look it over when i goto work at 1030.

by peconicstation

Just to answer a question without having to follow a link (using one railfan site is enough for me), the Elizabethport shops were located just to the North of the Elizabethport station.

From the outbound E-port platforms you could see quite a collection of motive power ether waiting for service, or OOS and waiting to be taken to Naparano for scrap. During the 70's when the Scoots were still running the term "rolling museum" aptly described the power you would see at the E-port shops.

The "shops" oulasted the Scoots, and the E-port station stood for quite awhile after service ended, but I did not feel safe venturing into the area after the Scoots were terminated.

Ken

by red baron

peconicstation wrote:Just to answer a question without having to follow a link (using one railfan site is enough for me)
I assume this was directed at me. The reason I provided a link was to provide access to a lot of information and photographs (which are obviously not on this site). Perhaps that might be of interest to the person who posted the question. Plus, that link has a lot more information on E-Port than I have seen here. Just another resource for those interested.

by Steve F45

red baron wrote:
peconicstation wrote:Just to answer a question without having to follow a link (using one railfan site is enough for me)
I assume this was directed at me. The reason I provided a link was to provide access to a lot of information and photographs (which are obviously not on this site). Perhaps that might be of interest to the person who posted the question. Plus, that link has a lot more information on E-Port than I have seen here. Just another resource for those interested.
I thank you for taht link. I've ventured on railfan.net a few times but never saw that thread. Some really interesting pics. I wish i could go back in time and witness this history before it was destroyed.

by Steve F45

Made my first voyage to the old eport shops. At first i didn't know if i had passed it or not. But man what a place it must've been in its day. Was the entire eport shops demo'd? When down there i waslooking at that big brick building called elizabeth industrial park. Was that part of the eport shops? Also if you drive down along the jersey gardens and look south, it looks like some buildings are still up, could be wrong sun was in my eyes.