Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Njt4300

I have a question......... Does MN have electric loco's like ALP44-46 or and MU sets?

by Njt4300

Thanks alot!
  by fordhamroad

Considering the success the NH had over many decades using electric locomotives, the frequent use of Amtrak electrics on the line, and the occasional need to haul non-mu type rolling stock or move stalled equipment, why doesn't Metro North-CDOT have at least a few electric locomotives? Are the extra costs of DC for Grand Central the main factor?Are there any deals on second hand Amtrak locomotives which might be rebuilt? I know there have been studies on this, and no new electric locomotives were ever ordered, but I am curious about the reasoning involved?
Roger

by DutchRailnut

The cost of dual power electric locomotives is in 5 million range.
They could not be used for push/pull in DC territory due to gapping the train in GCT or interlockings with locomotive on rear.
using two (one front -one rear) is out of question as the cost of engines would make the train cost prohibitive.
Coaches run in the 2.2 million range.

by Nester

What coaches are you referring to?

Comet Vs recently built by Alstom and purchased by NJT ran between 897k and 1.03 million, depending on whether it was a cab unit, had a bathroom, etc.

Do you mean self-propelled electric MU cars (e.g. M7s)?

Nester

by DutchRailnut

better put new battery in that calculator.

by roee

DutchRailnut wrote:better put new battery in that calculator.
From NJT's website.

The Comet V Coach cars -- costing between $897,000 and $1.05 million each based on trailer or cab car configurations respectively -- were purchased from Alstom Transportation Inc. of Hornell, NY, and will be delivered through February 2003.

http://www.njtransit.com/nn_press_relea ... ASE_ID=483

M7's seem to run in the 1.9Mil range, but as they are the whole kit, one would expect them to cost quite a bit more than a trailer.

by DutchRailnut

Then for cheap price of comet v's lets see how happy the commuters and crews are with these pieces of junk.

by Nester

DutchRailnut wrote:Then for cheap price of comet v's lets see how happy the commuters and crews are with these pieces of junk.
I don't understand how you can call comet v's cheap. Or junk, for that matter. Especially when "the company" (MTA/MNR) bought 65 of them for WOH service. These cars have a lot of good technology in them that should make the trains easier to run (for the crew) *and* a pleasant experience for the riders.

I can't call your opinion "wrong", but I strongly disagree with your assertion that these cars are a bargain or sub-standard.

Nester

by DutchRailnut

Nester go to NJT forum and read all you want about the Alstom Junk, opinions of both conductors and commuters.
About inoperative door systems and pa systems going haywire.
about poor quality workmanship and severe train delays.

by Nester

I never said the cars were perfect. :)

I went and read some of the threads that you referred to and I will concede that this is the first I have heard of A/C problems. The PA system is problematic, but then again, none of these automated systems are any good. As for the door system, can you show me some place where it does not work (vs. it does not work well for the way NJT crews work). I wonder if NJT asked for this vs. Alstom rammed this down their throats. I don't have any contacts at Alstom, so I will see what I can do about learning the truth behind this "feature". I'm assuming your talking about how the conductor cannot open the doors unless the train is moving less than 3 MPH or so, assuming that he or she did not disable the safties or otherwise operate the doors in such a manner that delays the train.

Can you point me in the direction of the threads that deal with workmanship and delays? I would be interested in reading those, but I did not come across any (delays being other than the issues raised about how the door system operates).

nester

by DutchRailnut

Just ask the questions you just raised on the NJT forum and you will get enough feedback
as far as the V-zero feature we got those on the Bombardiers too.