• Electric Keystone service returns

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ngotwalt

Here is my thoughts on this. Instead of skipping 30th Street, what if the Keystones were on the Upper Level and ran into Suburban station right in downtown Philadelphia. Right now its a free SEPTA Transfer, but its still a transfer. Instead of sitting idle in 30th Street for 15 minutes have the Keystones upstairs with direct service from downtown (Suburban station) to NYC and HAR. Just a thought.
Cheers,
Nick

by gp80mac

That actually was part of the master plan - to run the trains into Suburban Station again.

Haven't heard much about that lately...

by njtmnrrbuff

Maybe the trains that currently start out at 30th street could start at Suburban. trains starting out in NYP are better off serving just 30th street as it's VERY CLOSE to Center City. If one walks between 30th street and Suburban at a quick pace, they could probably do it in almost the same time that Septa puts on the schedule for their trains.

by amusing erudition

It's not terribly far and the transfer is offered free (to Market East also), but you're looking at 4 minutes on the train schedule to cover just less than a mile.

Anyone who can do that in a suit should be training for the Olympics.

-asg

by Irish Chieftain

Of course, if the former Reading through West Trenton, via the CNJ and Lehigh Valley, were electrified all the way to Hunter Interlocking, you could have Keystone trains running through not only Suburban Station, but also Market East…

by dreese_us

How about running Keystone service through 3oth Street upper level and continue on Septa's R3 West Trenton Line stopping at Jenkintown, connecting back on NEC at Morrisville. They would only need to electify a few miles of track through Morrisville Yard.

by amusing erudition

dreese_us wrote:How about running Keystone service through 3oth Street upper level and continue on Septa's R3 West Trenton Line stopping at Jenkintown, connecting back on NEC at Morrisville. They would only need to electify a few miles of track through Morrisville Yard.
Amtrak's not going to run on CSX track when there's an Amtrak route available. Also, is the connection from the Reading New York line to the Trenton Cutoff even still there? I thought that track was gone.

-asg

by Septa3371CSX

amusing erudition wrote:
dreese_us wrote:How about running Keystone service through 3oth Street upper level and continue on Septa's R3 West Trenton Line stopping at Jenkintown, connecting back on NEC at Morrisville. They would only need to electify a few miles of track through Morrisville Yard.
Amtrak's not going to run on CSX track when there's an Amtrak route available. Also, is the connection from the Reading New York line to the Trenton Cutoff even still there? I thought that track was gone.

-asg
Yes, the Fairless Branch is still in service. The Wood Connector that Conrail put in during the 1980's is also still in place.

by njtmnrrbuff

Amtrak around PHL will always operate where its supposed to. Running on the ex-reading to the trenton cutoff will add more time to the schedule.

by dreese_us

I was thinking more about enhancing Keystone service than the added running time to NYC. Having an alternate trip along Septa's R3 with a few limited stops would actually be a faster and more conveniant commute for for riders from BUCkS and Mongomery Counties and be able to make all PHL center city stops. I know its just a pipe dream, but thought I might throw it out there. Maybe NJT can provide this service.

by geoking66

dreese_us wrote:I was thinking more about enhancing Keystone service than the added running time to NYC. Having an alternate trip along Septa's R3 with a few limited stops would actually be a faster and more conveniant commute for for riders from BUCkS and Mongomery Counties and be able to make all PHL center city stops. I know its just a pipe dream, but thought I might throw it out there. Maybe NJT can provide this service.
I know that NJT's Northeast Corridor schedules show R7, but the problem is that it's cross-state, and that requires a lot of effort and dealing with beaurocracy, which can be a pain in the arse.

-Phil

by benltrain

Amtrak running on SEPTA trackage? Never going to happen.

The complications of leaving from the upper level of 30th cancel the benefit of the service at Suburban.

by dreese_us

If they were to extend Keystone Service into Suburban Station, wouldn't it have run through the upper level of 30TH Street Station?
I know its a pipe dream but there should be a way to get commuters from Bucks and Montgomery Counties to New York/ North Jersey without having to go to center city or driving to Trenton.

by Gilbert B Norman

benltrain wrote: Amtrak running on SEPTA trackage? Never going to happen.

The complications of leaving from the upper level of 30th cancel the benefit of the service at Suburban.
While of course Amtrak DID operate Silverliner II Harrisburg trains A-Day through the '70's from Suiburban Station, this was ceased about the time the Market Street extension opened.

Something tells me both parties, Amtrak and SEPTA, like the idea of "ours/theirs" at 30th St and no longer a need to consider such at Suburban. Be it assured the accountants do.

by amusing erudition

There are of course still four very nice stub tracks (0, 5-7) at Suburban whose use will not hinder SEPTA's tunnel use. As far as 30th St. SEPTA keeps asking to use downstairs for some of its ridiculous diesel service plans, so Amtrak using the upstairs wouldn't be as much of an issue.

And for a bargaining chip for Suburban Station, there's Amtrak's electricity to consider.

-asg