Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by finsuburbia

Are there any elevated sections in need of replacement? If so, would it be worth it to do something like this?

by Gerry6309

The section most in need of reconstruction is that between Broadway Junction and Cypress Hills on the J/Z line. This is the oldest extant el structure in the City. If rebuilt, it will probably be done exactly as it is since it may be landmarked. The existing structure over Fulton and Crescent Sts. could be replaced by a direct structure over Jamaica Av., a project with has almost no chance of happening.

by Paul1705

I would guess the rebuilt lines in Philadelphia are much quieter than the old-style elevated lines.

It's interesting to imagine if something like that had been done for the Bronx Third Avenue el and the Myrtle Avenue line. However, I don't think either line had the ridership to justify that kind of investment.

by chuchubob

Paul1705 wrote:I would guess the rebuilt lines in Philadelphia are much quieter than the old-style elevated lines.
The rebuilt portions of the Market Street El are noisier than the unrebuilt portions. The concrete roadbed reflects the sound upward much more efficiently than the uneven surface of the ballast.

by Jeff Smith

I really doubt they'd rebuild any el's, they only want to tear them down. Replacement would have to lead to below ground or ground level in a dedicated ROW. Plus, neighborhoods want to be rid of them. Look at how much better Third Av looks now.

by orangeline

Several L lines have been rebuilt in Chicago, and as per Paul1705, the ride is considerably quieter for passengers and a lot of the squealing around sharp curves and deep rumble has been eliminated making it quieter for those outside next to the elevated structures. It can be done!

by Jeff Smith

No doubt it could be done, but I think that's an enhancement, and they're concentrating on expansion and good repair right now. Unless they deteriorated so badly, I doubt they'd do it. For my money's worth, I'd rebuild the 3rd Av El in the Bronx with a Zoo spur. Maybe that would show how it could be done in other areas.

by Paul1705

Many of the el stations in the Bronx on the 1, 2, and 4 lines have been rebuilt recently. I suspect most of the present elevated lines are going to be around for a long time to come.

The have been modern elevated lines built in various places - Vancouver, British Columbia, and Monterrey, Mexico, come to mind. However, I have a hard time imagining something like that getting through the political climate in New York.

by Robert Paniagua

orangeline wrote:Several L lines have been rebuilt in Chicago, and as per Paul1705, the ride is considerably quieter for passengers and a lot of the squealing around sharp curves and deep rumble has been eliminated making it quieter for those outside next to the elevated structures. It can be done!
Yeah, I remember the, but they should have rebuilt the MBTA Boston's Washington Street EL (Orange Line) rather than have that Silver line railless vehicle. Too bad Boston didn't do like New York and leave it's Washington St EL run rather then close it 20-21 years ago

by pennsy

I was one of the last to ride the old Pitkin Ave. line in Brooklyn. After the structures were torn down, all marveled at how light and bright the streets were and how nice the neighborhood now looked. And the neighborhood was much quieter. The IND A train, down Fulton street, took up the slack. At that time it was brand new and an underground Subway.

by Robert Paniagua

And not to mention the Culver Shuttle from Ditmas Ave to 9th Avenue, that was very convenient from riding the Manhattan bridge and going down the straightest EL Route to Coney Island.

by pennsy

Hi Robert,

You still can do that. The Culver line from Ditmas avenue south to Coney Island was taken over by the IND's D train. Took it many times and walked across the street, Stillwell ave, to that incredible smell, Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs.

by alchemist

The J/Z structure along Fulton Street from Eastern Parkway to Crescent Street was part of the of line that ran elevated from downtown Brooklyn along Fulton, most of which was replaced by the subway route. When the Broadway line was built, the original plan was to build straight east to Jamaica on Jamaica Ave from Eastern Parkway. If you look at the steel east of Eastern Parkway you can see how that would have happened.

It is strange to see that antique segment between two much newer structures.

by Paul1705

There have been places around the world that have built new elevated lines - probably for the old reason that they're cheaper than tunnels. A photo of Vancouver, British Columbia is here:

http://world.nycsubway.org/perl/show?30674

They even call in Skytrain to give it a positive marketing spin.

Would such a thing be feasible somewhere in New York? On a technical level it might. But politically - I see that as a very heavy lift for a long time to come.

by Dylanchris73

I live near the N elevated. I wonder the shape it's in.