• EL 1st Sub in Youngstown, OH

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by EL3632

What type of operational headaches did EL's 1st Sub in downtown Youngstown, OH pose? What was the approximate train frequency? What types of trains moved on it? Did any TOFC trains come this way? When was it removed? Did any alternative routings exist, either on the EL or neighboring railroads?

East of Youngstown, OH, was the EL retained around Hubbard, OH, or is this NYC trackage? What was the relationship between the EL and NYC from Youngstown, OH to Hubbard, OH/Sharon, PA?

Is it possible to run through trains on WNY&P to Meadville, PA and then on NS to Youngstown, OH and move west on either NS or CSX? What type of connections existed between downtown Youngstown and Center St.?

Thank you,

DED
  by biglat

I can answer the last question you posed the most accurately.

I currently live in the area and railfan periodically.

The WNYPRR loaded coal trains that are seen in Meadville come from Youngstown. NS owns the line from Y-Town to Meadville. At Meadville, NS has leased the line to WNYP. But if you see a loaded coal train headed north at Meadville, it came through Youngstown. I have actually followed these trains as they moved north of Youngstown through Hubbard, OH to Sharon, PA and points north. I have also followed the empties from Sharon in reverse. CSX also sends loaded coal trains north from Youngstown on the NS line. But those trains deviate at Hubbard and take the NS line (old NYC line to Ashtabula) north via a trackage rights agreement.

Could a southbound train on the NS line go west on the CSX line at Center Street in Youngstown? I don't think so. There isn't a westbound connection at the Center Street bridge to either CSX's mainline or the NS line that goes to Niles/McDonald, then Warren. Trains either head off CSX's mainline and go north on the NS line. Most NS trains go north to Ashtabula (maybe a local a day veers off at Hubbard and services industries around Sharon, PA, with maybe another train a day going to Niles/Warren to service either Lordstown or WCI Steel.

Steve Timko with WNYPRR used to be a Trainmaster with Erie Lackawanna in Youngstown. Timko is currently a part of the WNYPRR management team. He could give you more specifics about the operations of the EL's 1st Division.