• Edaville Question: MR. SLIM

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by JohnK

Hello, group-

As a young boy in the 1970s, I remember this "one man band" guy, stage-named "Mr. Slim", who performed at our grade school (Stoneham, MA). He played the washboard, the harmonica, the tambourine, the drums, etc. all at once, and he also juggled and rode a unicycle at the same time (or so it seemed).

A few years later, early 1980s, I saw him performing at Edaville. I said hello to him, and he remembered having come to our school a couple years prior but of course did not remember me personally.

I have always remembered him when I think about the fun times I had at the "old" Edaville, and in school, but he was always just a "memory" as part of other "Edaville" and "school" memories. However, finding him on Reinhard B. Wohlgemuth's Edaville page

http://members.cox.net/oldedaville/slim.jpg (photo)
http://members.cox.net/oldedaville/history2.html (webpage)

has got me interested in seeing who this guy really was.

I have not been able to find much on the web about him other than this (above), and some activity he was doing with some stage + theatre company in the 1980s.

My question: Was this guy "Mr. Slim" a "regular" at Edaville? Seems to have been, based on the Edaville site (above). But does anybody know anything about him? His present day status, and disposition? Did anyone out there on this board, besides me, catch his show at Edaville? (Or elsewhere?)

Thanks!

-John K.

by pennsy

Hi,

This fellow sounds like an independent contractor, or a free lance. He probably hired out through an agency or was a friend of one of the board members.

Try this approach. When you go to the Edaville RR site, go to the area where it says Contact Us or something to that effect. You want to be able to E-mail them directly. Last time I did it an older fellow, one that had been with the RR for many years responded with answers to my questions. That route should work for you as well. They probably could even provide you with contact information on hiring the fellow, should you want to.