• Edaville Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by steamer69

Sorry about that......I'll try not to use the acronym's without an explination. Any ideas as to what they may be getting or who they're getting it from? There's not too much out there for them to pick from.
  by number7

Will be interesting to see what they get, would be nice if by some miracle it was one of the Maine two footers.

At any rate, hopefully it will be better than that silly looking engine from Fijji.

New steam may be nice but some track to run it on would be even nicer.
  by steamer69

Not trying to burst a bubble, but all of the Maine engines are spoken for. I don't think that any of the museums would want to part with any of them.
  by bunky

This is just idle speculation and I am not affiliated with the Maine Narrow Gauge Museum. Number 8 is sitting in Portland with nothing to do. Leasing number 8 could make the museum some cash and number 8 just needs to pass state boiler inspection to operate at Edaville not the fra form 4 it would need in Portland. I have no idea what kind of work number 8 might need to be operable. Number 8 should probably be capable of dragging any train Edaville can assemble around the loop.
  by steamer69

#8 would be a good fit for Edaville, but....and this is a big but....there is still a crap load of bad blood between the "Maine" 2 footers and the "Mass" two footers. I was frankly quite suprised that Booth Bay even sent an engine down there, but then again Edaville payed through the nose for it (lease, transportation, crew from Maine with all of their per-diem and everything, etc). I would guess that MNGRR would make them pay through the nose for it, especially since they had all of the trouble with getting #7 back.
  by number7

Other than total incompetence and destroying what once was a great two foot railroad, does anyone in Maine have any real beefs with Deli Priscoli and his band of merry men or is the bad blood with previous owners?
  by number7

Beggars can't be choosers, number 8 is the biggest of the surviving Maine two footers, it will pull anything they ask of it, but it may not be as economical on coal as the smaller ones. But, having an original engine back in my opinion would be worth quite a bit.

Will it get around the very sharp turn of the new pathetic loop that has made them a laughing stock? I don't know.

Number 8 certainly is bigger than what MRR needs.

Anyone know what's up with the alleged move to Gray Maine? I wonder how much track they would be able to put down there?

No self respecting railfan would pay to ride on the less than two mile loop down at Edaville but it would be worth a stop by to take a picture of number 8 going by the parking lot or other place where you could see it without having to subsidize their watered down tourist trap.
  by steamer69

number7 wrote:does anyone in Maine have any real beefs with Deli Priscoli and his band of merry men or is the bad blood with previous owners?
It is with anything that has to do with Edaville, or anyone who is associated with it. And believe me, the feelings go both ways. The Edaville crew treats people from the Maine groups like crap too. It's a two way street, and takes two to tango. Neither side is clean in that pissing match.....because both groups think that they are better than the other, and act quite elitist to each other.
  by Mikejf

bunky wrote: Leasing number 8 could make the museum some cash and number 8 just needs to pass state boiler inspection to operate at Edaville not the fra form 4 it would need in Portland. I have no idea what kind of work number 8 might need to be operable. Number 8 should probably be capable of dragging any train Edaville can assemble around the loop.
#8 needs the same work #7 is currently receiving. I don't know how the inspectors are in Mass., but in Maine they have as tough or tougher standards than the FRA. The only difference is the FRA requires more documents and paperwork than the State of Maine requires.

Mike
  by steamer69

Here is a link to the Maine and Mass rules for anyone who would like to read up on it.

http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/rules/02/chaps02.htm#174

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/consumer-prot ... sting.html

Happy Reading!

I would have to disagree that the Maine regs are tougher than the FRA. I don't know of any state that has the same 1472 and part 230 standards. Don't get me wrong, the Maine regs are tough....and cudos to the guys that write that code.
  by number7

Thank you Steamer69. I didn't realize that.

Edaville has done so far downhill that I can see the folks in Maine looking down their noses at the S. Carver operation, or what little is left of it.

The folks in S. Carver should be too busy hanging their heads in shame to be elitist about anything. The only superlatives that fit the present Edaville cannot be printed here.

When you set the bar at entertaining 2 to 12 year olds, you're not setting it very high.

Yeah, that's their goal down in S. Carver, keep the little kids entertained.
  by steamer69

number7 wrote:When you set the bar at entertaining 2 to 12 year olds, you're not setting it very high.
Well, when they're the only ones who want to go there anymore, at least your shooting for your target audience. They did however, at one point have a beautiful railroad. But a beautiful railroad run by people who think their poo doesn't stink, and don't take anyones advice, and can't run a railroad out of a wet paperbag with a hole in both ends and a slit up the middle...what happens? You get a torn up, broken down railroad that no one but 2 year olds want to go to.
  by number7

Yes, when they took over, they had a sweet setup. Imagine, a 5.42 mile loop, on private property.

And, they managed to screw it up. They could screw up a free lunch.

That loop should have been protected at all costs.
  by steamer69

The dollar signes for real estate development looked better than the view from the open cars I guess.
number 7 wrote:They could screw up a free lunch
I would have to agree. Ever since South Carver Rail had the place, it's been all down hill....but a certain someone has had that affect on almost every railroad he has touched.
  by NErailfan

number7 wrote: No self respecting railfan would pay to ride on the less than two mile loop down at Edaville but it would be worth a stop by to take a picture of number 8 going by the parking lot or other place where you could see it without having to subsidize their watered down tourist trap.
Gee wonder why they are only catering to 2-12yr olds? I'm sure if more of us spent the $15 bucks to actually enter the park to take pictures, and to ride the train for those reasons only, also while letting management know exactly why you spent your money to get in in the first place, they would have more drive to get back to their roots with more trains, track, and things of that nature.

I had no problem going down this Christmas season to see steam at Edaville. Its somewhat close to me, the place is clean, people are nice, and there is an actual live REBUILT 2 foot steam engine there. Who the F@CK cares where it came from, or how original it is? I was impressed by it

Ya the 2 mile loop sucks, lets see what they do in the next year or two. As we all know NOTHING happens fast in the railroad business.