• Edaville Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MEC407

With all due respect to folks with children, if your kid can't sit still for five and a half miles, maybe they're not old enough for it or maybe trains just aren't their cup of tea. Frankly I think some of it has to do with the fact that kids are playing video games at younger and younger ages (I've seen kids who are barely old enough to talk who already have Nintendo DS in their hands)... but that's another topic for another time and place.

When I used to volunteer at MNGRR, there would often be kids who would ride the train repeatedly throughout the span of a couple of hours. So I guess not all kids have short attention spans... but for the ones who do, maybe a different form of entertainment/recreation would be more appropriate. I'd hate to think that Edavile got rid of the 5.5 mile loop simply to appease the few kids who lose interest after the first mile.

Of note, I saw Edaville commercials on TV last night (in Maine)... they mainly seem to be promoting the light displays and it appeared that the train was just an afterthought... merely a conveyance that allows you to see their "7 million lights."
  by Steamer

Speaking of lights. Does anyone else remember the giant cross? Where do you think it was? I have made a map of the location I think it was in. Do you agree? I do not think it was actually in the middle of the reservoir. Oldrr is right, how would they power it? Did they take it down just to save money or was it because they no longer own the land? Could you even see it from the turn on the short loop? How do you think the public would react to a giant religious cross display now a days? Ironically they still have a Hanukkah Menorah display along the short loop!

Steamer
  by Mikejf

Oldrr,
Yes, I know the guys that went and worked on it to get it running. I think one of them was there for the first trip. If the steam guys there listened to what these guys told them, there should be no problems.
  by oldrr

Thank you Mike, when you talk to them again, can you please ask them if they know why the old loop was torn up on the west side and if there is any talk by management of re-laying any track?

Thanks.
  by oldrr

I'd have to say that you're right Steamer, that point would give the cross maximum visibility. It was undoubtedly put there by Blount who was quite religious.
  by TRNSRGR8T

To continue with some early questions, this would be an annual event for a visit, one time per year for my gang.

For what you get, the pricing seems fine in today’s market. I have paid more for less.

The good thing here, if the kids want to take the trip again, we can ride many times, just hop on. We can get our fill of a good day of train riding. Not sure I could do that on a longer route. Therefore, a shorter route offers more times to ride and more flexibilty for the kids.

But aren't some of the words a bit over the top? I mean should I be saying the same thing about Six Flags. Six Flags tore up the old Riverside race track and put a roller coaster. Is that vandalizing? I don't believe so, it’s changing with the times. Now we have to look elsewhere to get a night of racing in- and I can. I think Riverside was originally a trolley park, and certainly there is no evidence of that today.

The good thing about trains in the northeast is there is a lot of Varity here. If I want the Two hour Trip, there’s a train for that, if I want a dinner on a train, there’s a train for that, if I want to ride the Acela train to NY City, there’s is schedule for that, and if I want to take a train ride with some amusements, I got Edaville for that. Nowhere else in the US is there this type of Variety. Bottom line, there is a train ride within hours for all our tastes whether it’s a family trip or a 3 hour tour. Edaville is a for profit organization and its goal is to attract and appeal to the most diverse group of patrons. And for that I think they are doing a good job- it’s a clean enjoyable place.

Maybe one day the train ride will be expanded. As more people go to Edaville, this may give them the ability to expand. And I believe they are doing what they need to do to make sure Edaville stays for the long term.
  by NErailfan

Tonight is my night.

Will return with a report, pics, and hopefully video.

I must say it has been great discussing this place. Weather your views have been optimistic, or pessimistic, how else would we have things to talk about.
  by oldrr

"But aren't some of the words a bit over the top? I mean should I be saying the same thing about Six Flags. Six Flags tore up the old Riverside race track and put a roller coaster. Is that vandalizing? I don't believe so, it’s changing with the times. Now we have to look elsewhere to get a night of racing in- and I can. I think Riverside was originally a trolley park, and certainly there is no evidence of that today."

You have an interesting point. One notable difference with Edaville is that most or all of what was torn down was not replaced with anything.

What they have now is much less than what they started with. They have not torn up a racetrack to put in a roller coaster. They have torn down and ripped up without replacing. Without improvements.
  by steamer69

Not only have they torn up and ripped out....but they did it out of not wanting to work on it. This is where the "friends" group would have helped....and a volunteer corps may have saved it. But too late for all of that now. Hind site always 20/20. I hear that the trains continue to be packed. Anyone know if this is this the case?
  by NErailfan

Here is a small video I put together last night. I took it with my iPhone, only wishing I had better equipment, and more light.

http://youtu.be/A0al1XU_dnQ

I will say I talked to a few of the guys down there after our ride, and they were more than happy to talk to me. They also stated what a process it has been getting #21 back up and running.

I was a little disappointed to see # 2 behind her. But the guys said that they realized the polar express was more money than the Festival of Lights, and did not want any hiccups along the ride. That being said it sounded valid. We were in the first car, and #2 did nothing more than idle the whole way.

I will say that the park looked the best it has since I started going back there. Staff were very friendly, park was very clean, there was no confusion, crowded, but not over crowded.

The only thing that left me lacking was I needed to see more of a working type railroad. I did mention to one of the staff at the station of having some type of railfan day, and they did say they are trying to work something like that into the schedule next year.

All in all a great time for the entire family!
  by MEC407

Nice video! Your iPhone did a great job.
  by Teamdriver

More on Edarville , story and video :

Carver’s Edaville, a hit with families, will stay open for the next five years

Read more: http://www.patriotledger.com/answerbook ... z1gc5MpG5a
http://www.patriotledger.com/answerbook ... five-years

A ride along the Edaville Railroad (video ) :

http://www.enterprisenews.com/multimedi ... e-Railroad
  by oldrr

Thank you for the links.

"Byron said park owner Jon Delli backed out of selling the park last year at the last moment when he found out the buyer would not use the property for operating the park."

I don't believe that, I think it's a white lie. The only reason I believe he would back out is money.

The spokeswoman for Edaville says that "we're in the business of making memories."

Evidence shows that they are in the business of destroying memories.

Another interesting remark was the Edaville was to remain open for at least another 5 years. I wonder what that is all about? What's going to happen after 5 years? Did they sign a five year lease with someone to operate it?

At any rate, these articles are typical of a docile and uncritical press who are not averse to giving free publicity using the guise of a newspaper story.
  by oldrr

When I saw the mention of a video of the Edaville ride, my first thought was, "that's gonna be a really short video." I was right it was.

Did anyone notice that the steam engine is now pulling four coaches, one caboose, and the stupid looking generator?

I guess 11 cars was a little on the optimistic side.
  by Mikejf

Thanks for the links. I'm just glad its running again.