• Edaville Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by oldrr

The reason I think they should be ok is that they did the same thing when they put in the track to complete the tiny little loop that they have now. It was done on or alongside existing roads. So I see no reason that they couldn't do the same thing to complete a loop around the reservoir. I believe that the "wetlands issue" is simply an excuse for not doing it.

I wonder if the present ownership considered applying to FEMA for disaster aid in order to rebuild. If they send pictures of what Edaville looked like when they got it, versus what it looks like now, they would probably qualify.

Fema being a typical government organization probably won't ask too many intelligent questions, if any at all, I think they ought to give it a try.

It would be nice if they could get one of the Fourney type locos instead of that silly looking Henshel engine. They should be able to make a deal with WWF or MNGRR to lease one of the engines.

Cranberry Jct station was an attractive station. Would be nice if they would build a replica of it. The present entrance reeks of "expensive tourist trap".
  by 3rdrail

oldrr wrote: I wonder if the present ownership considered applying to FEMA for disaster aid in order to rebuild. If they send pictures of what Edaville looked like when they got it, versus what it looks like now, they would probably qualify.

Fema being a typical government organization probably won't ask too many intelligent questions, if any at all, I think they ought to give it a try.
Intersperce footage of the Illinois Railway Museum on a holiday weekend as an "example" of what they were before the storm. hahaha!!!
  by jscola30

The small loop was also where there were tracks before. Edaville suffered a washout and they ran that same exact smaller loop for a while, so I think could make difference. I miss the 5.5 mile loop, but to be honest, this is the big white elephant in the room, the general public doesn't care. We live in an culture where no one can sit still for that long. If you go to the Edaville FB page, you will many people thrilled that it's open again, and making new family memories. While I do miss the original maine 2ft locomotives, there's probably close to zero chance of them coming back. First, none are operation/still undergoing restoration, though I'm not sure about #4. I know that the restoration of #7 was delayed because of a fire set by tresspassers. I think it's (sadly) safe to say #8 won't be under steam again for a long time, and yes I know that has to do with unfair FRA regulations. Then there's the bad blood between the two organizations. The owner of #7 said that it will never run at Edaville again. (and who knows, maybe he does have a good reason). Then there's simply the logistics of getting the trains back and forth.

I also don't think railfans grasp what an expensive operation this must be. Insurance rates have probably sky rocketed since 1991, and for steam trains with the Gettysburg incident. So we have insurance on the train AND on the amusement park rides. And while people claim Edaville is expensive, we need to take that into context. Yes regular admission is $18.00 but admission in 1991 was $12.50. $5.50 inflation over 20 years (yes I do realize less of a ride, but unlimited rides none the less).

Frankly, oldrr, while I respect, appreciate, and agree with some of your opinions, I find your name calling of the Henschels to be unnecessary. Do feel the same way to Boothbay who owns them? The Henshcels are a living, breathing, example of railroad history. You know what locomotive looks ridiculous? The one rusting away beacuse no museum or individual cared about it.

I''m gonna show my cards, I am a young Edaville fan *(27), but I can still remember my parents taking me during the summer and Christmas. I can remember riding behind #4 ALWAYS (maybe 7 or 8 on the last tim), going to Cranberry Lake park and riding the boat and swimming. Then waiting for the train, and seeing the smoke come over the trees. Or one Christmas waiting in the depot, looking through and open door and seeing #4 entering the station, with smoke and steam pouring out everywhere. The countless times excitedly waiting at the entrance crossing for a glimpse of the train . You all may think I'm youthfully naive but Brenda and Rob (the OPERATORS, not LANDLORD) before the current change saved Edaville from bankruptcy. They were not Priscolli. I think they did a fine job with what they had.
  by 3rdrail

I'm also a child brought up on Edaville, one of the many that I spoke about in another thread from Boston who didn't have access out of the state when I was young. I loved Edaville then and I love it now. Just as food for thought - I thought about what you have expressed about two-footers probably never seeing Edaville again J and, sadly, I have to agree, due to the wholesale dispersion of valuable locomotives from Edaville. So in terms of bringing it's flavor back, along with the railroad feel, festivals, summer train show, bar-b-que, Christmas Festival of Lights, and throngs of returning kids who are getting a dose of a fascination that may stay with them their entire life, let us take a word in common useage - diversity. How about trying pull a narrow gauge steamer or two out of Maine ? How about trying to rescue the Flying Yankee from almost certain quiet disolution. How about grabbing a retiring Alco or an RDC that's sitting idle somewhere ? What I'm suggesting is making the experience a diverse one. I ask the questing hypothetically as I know that it can't be done without a group of persons who want it to happen and have the means and ability to make it happen. Just sort of a what if question...
  by jscola30

All I know is that a train show at Edaville would be in a word...awesome
  by 3rdrail

I hear ya, brother ! I don't know if you ever had the opportunity to attend one of their train shows, but they were absolutely fantastic ! The show was primarily railroad and railway collectibles, and taking a rough guess, I would estimate that there were as many collectibles there as there are model trains at a current Greenberg Train Show. It usually took place in the off-season, which for Edaville, was anytime other than winter. Special trains, double-headers, the rail-car were all out. It was a buffs dream come true. The best shows that I have ever been to !
  by 161pw165

Could not agree more, 3rdrail. I went to that show every year back in the early-mid 80's, and it was an all-day experience. Grabbed a ride upon entering and again before leaving, but what that show had for content was unreal. Memorabilia, large-scale, HO, you could find anything and we always walked away with some good deals.
  by oldrr

>Re: Edaville up for sale

>Postby jscola30 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:17 pm
>The small loop was also where there were tracks before. Edaville suffered a washout and they ran that same exact smaller loop for a while, so I think could make difference. I miss the 5.5 mile loop, but to be honest, >this is the big white elephant in the room, the general public doesn't care. We live in an culture where no one can sit still for that long. If you go to the Edaville FB page, you will many people thrilled that it's open again, >and making new family memories. While I do miss the original maine 2ft locomotives, there's probably close to zero chance of them coming back. First, none are operation/still undergoing restoration, though I'm not >sure about #4. I know that the restoration of #7 was delayed because of a fire set by tresspassers. I think it's (sadly) safe to say #8 won't be under steam again for a long time, and yes I know that has to do with unfair >FRA regulations. Then there's the bad blood between the two organizations. The owner of #7 said that it will never run at Edaville again. (and who knows, maybe he does have a good reason). Then there's simply the >logistics of getting the trains back and forth.

Thanks for the reply J. It is possible that the fact that the tracks had run there a long time ago helped but I suspect that the main reason there was no problem is that it didn't affect wetlands. The tracks were built on dry land. Some or most of the general public may not care about the length of the train ride. However, things add up to make the whole and they subtract to take away from the whole. Each time they tear up track, tear down a building, or remove a static display they subtract from the whole. They cheapen the place. The more discerning people don't go in the first place or they don't go back. As I see it, they appeal to young children at this time. Just about anyone else could probably think of better things to do. I think you'll find that every other tourist railroad in New England has a longer mainline than Edaville does. Even the Cog and WWF. The exception is probably Boothbay.

So, if you want amusement park rides, go to Canobie or some other place. If you want a train ride, you can choose many other places to go, if you're desperate, take a trip on the MBCR or the Downeaster or the Acela.

Because of the fact that Edaville has such limited appeal right now, look at how often it's open, only for special events.

You have to spend money to make money. Number 8 would probably be an option if they're willing to pay and have the required work done. 3 and 4 are more economical and with some wheeling and dealing maybe they could get one of them. Plantation number 5 is up at WWF and I don't think they will want to part with it. Besides they have such a nice operation up there. They seem to be making the folks at S. Carver look like fools.

>I also don't think railfans grasp what an expensive operation this must be. Insurance rates have probably sky rocketed since 1991, and for steam trains with the Gettysburg incident. So we have insurance on the train >AND on the amusement park rides. And while people claim Edaville is expensive, we need to take that into context. Yes regular admission is $18.00 but admission in 1991 was $12.50. $5.50 inflation over 20 years (yes >I do realize less of a ride, but unlimited rides none the less).

WWF, Boothbay, the Cog, The Valley RR, The Hobo, Clarks, all seem to be surviving. With competent management and an owner who actually cares about Edaville would be able to do quite well.

>Frankly, oldrr, while I respect, appreciate, and agree with some of your opinions, I find your name calling of the Henschels to be unnecessary. Do feel the same way to Boothbay who owns them? The Henshcels are a >living, breathing, example of railroad history. You know what locomotive looks ridiculous? The one rusting away beacuse no museum or individual cared about it.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come down hard on the Henschel. I don't particularly care for that type of loco but I am sure they are well built and suited to their task. I don't really have much of an opinion on Boothbay. I understand they do good shop work and run a good operation. Their railroad equipment doesn't really interest me but I hope they continue to do well. I don't expect to ever visit there though. Just not interested. The Henschel looked so small and out of place at the head of a train at Edaville last year. However, a lot of people were really happy to see steam down there and went just to see the steam. I would not have gone to see steam there unless it was behind one of the original 5 Edaville engines. So, rather than call the Henschel silly looking, let's just say that I don't particularly care for it.

>I''m gonna show my cards, I am a young Edaville fan *(27), but I can still remember my parents taking me during the summer and Christmas. I can remember riding behind #4 ALWAYS (maybe 7 or 8 on the last tim), >going to Cranberry Lake park and riding the boat and swimming. Then waiting for the train, and seeing the smoke come over the trees. Or one Christmas waiting in the depot, looking through and open door and seeing >#4 entering the station, with smoke and steam pouring out everywhere. The countless times excitedly waiting at the entrance crossing for a glimpse of the train . You all may think I'm youthfully naive but Brenda and >Rob (the OPERATORS, not LANDLORD) before the current change saved Edaville from bankruptcy. They were not Priscolli. I think they did a fine job with what they had.

I read that Brenda is coming back. I suspect that you're right in that Brenda and Rob did the best that they could considering the damage that Pricoli did to the railroad. Its tough to operate a railroad when the property owner is tearing up track and selling everything that he can.

Mark my words, despite was Pricoli says in the papers, he will sell Edaville either in one piece or as a whole and if it goes out of business he will lose not one minute of sleep.
His statements in the paper about not wanting to see Edaville close are nothing more than a face saving way of admitting that what remains of his senseless destruction is simply not salable.

jscola30

by oldrr

>I hear ya, brother ! I don't know if you ever had the opportunity to attend one of their train shows, but they were absolutely fantastic ! The show was primarily railroad and railway collectibles, and taking a rough guess, I >would estimate that there were as many collectibles there as there are model trains at a current Greenberg Train Show. It usually took place in the off-season, which for Edaville, was anytime other than winter. Special >trains, double-headers, the rail-car were all out. It was a buffs dream come true. The best shows that I have ever been to !

The ones I went to were on Railfans weekend. It was great, the place was mobbed with railfans. All of the equipment was running, the railbus, the model T, double headers, photo run-byes, the train ran the loop in reverse which gave you a chance to ride the bypass track. It was a real blast.
  by oldrr

>by 3rdrail » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:48 pm
>I'm also a child brought up on Edaville, one of the many that I spoke about in another thread from Boston who didn't have access out of the state when I was young. I loved Edaville then and I love it now. Just as food for >thought - I thought about what you have expressed about two-footers probably never seeing Edaville again J and, sadly, I have to agree, due to the wholesale dispersion of valuable locomotives from Edaville. So in terms >of bringing it's flavor back, along with the railroad feel, festivals, summer train show, bar-b-que, Christmas Festival of Lights, and throngs of returning kids who are getting a dose of a fascination that may stay with >them their entire life, let us take a word in common useage - diversity. How about trying pull a narrow gauge steamer or two out of Maine ? How about trying to rescue the Flying Yankee from almost certain quiet >disolution. How about grabbing a retiring Alco or an RDC that's sitting idle somewhere ? What I'm suggesting is making the experience a diverse one. I ask the questing hypothetically as I know that it can't be done without >a group of persons who want it to happen and have the means and ability to make it happen. Just sort of a what if question...

I think that competent management could negotiate to get at least one of the original 5 Edaville steam engines back down there. It would take some cash no doubt but it could be done.

The plantation engine #5 is now renumbered and at WWF. That's a small engine and I don't think that WWF would want to part with it. However, number 8 or either 3 or 4 wouldn't be out of the question.

Good idea getting the Silver Slipper back. Rebuild Cranberry Jct station. Bring back the Chicken BBQ. Rebuild the collection of static displays with preferably narrow gauge displays like what used to be there.

Would be nice to have the 1455 back as well.
  by jscola30

Regarding length of ride, you're correct in saying Edaville is longer than the WWF and Boothbay, it's also longer in total length than the MNGRR, so it is still the longest 2 foot railroad.
The Hobo RR does not operate steam at all and the Cog has cut back severely on steam. Using the Cog is a bad example there in my opinion, I will give you the others though. Although I still disagree with all of you that it would be possible to get any of the original engines back down to Edaville. The only one I can possibly see is #8. #3 is at the Sandy River museum so I doubt they would want to part with it as it would be their only active steam locomotive when it gets finished. #4 seems to be the MNGRR's go to engine and I heard that they have gotten permission to use it on a limited basis for Christmas. So that would leave #8. Maybe, it would be awful nice, but honestly I think there's too much bad blood between the organizations. From what I felt when the failed negotiations to get #7 running at Edaville started happening in the early 2000s, I don't think the MNGRR would sell/lease/donate any of the locomotives on a matter of principle. They own the locomotives, they're entitled to do that. Would I love to see any of them come back to South Carver, absolutely, but when #7 went back to Maine, I gave up on that dream that an original Edaville steam locomotive would ever come back. And let me be clear too, I love going to the MNGRR and will be sad when they leave Portland because I can't take the Downeaster to visit them. I'm just stating what I see.
  by MEC407

jscola30 wrote:And let me be clear too, I love going to the MNGRR and will be sad when they leave Portland because I can't take the Downeaster to visit them. I'm just stating what I see.
Today's Portland Press Herald states that MNGRR expects to stay in Portland for the next three to five years, so you've still got plenty of time to visit and enjoy it.

By the time they move to Gray, the Downeaster's Brunswick extension will be up and running. You could take the train to Freeport, which is only 15 miles from Gray, and I'm sure someone would be happy to give you a ride to MNGRR.
  by jscola30

That's good thanks, didn't know Gray was that close to Freeport.
  by oldrr

Anyone have any information on how the signal system was connected together at Edaville?

I thought they had run Romex or similar wire buried a few inches into the ground next to the tracks.
  by oldrr

>Although I still disagree with all of you that it would be possible to get any of the original engines back down to Edaville. The only one I can possibly see is #8. #3 is at the Sandy River museum so I doubt they would want >to >part with it as it would be their only active steam locomotive when it gets finished. #4 seems to be the MNGRR's go to engine and I heard that they have gotten permission to use it on a limited basis for Christmas. >So >that would leave #8. Maybe, it would be awful nice, but honestly I think there's too much bad blood between the organizations. From what I felt when the failed negotiations to get #7 running at Edaville started >happening >in the early 2000s, I don't think the MNGRR would sell/lease/donate any of the locomotives on a matter of principle. They own the locomotives, they're entitled to do that. Would I love to see any of them >come back to >South Carver, absolutely, but when #7 went back to Maine, I gave up on that dream that an original Edaville steam locomotive would ever come back. And let me be clear too, I love going to the MNGRR >and will be sad >when they leave Portland because I can't take the Downeaster to visit them. I'm just stating what I see.

Thank you for mentioning where number 3 was. I wasn't aware of that. I think that if they were willing to fix 3 or 8 they could probably get them. It would be worth it to the owners to get them fixed at someone elses expense. Edaville wouldn't need them except in the fall and winter. The rest of the year they could be up in Maine.

8 is a big engine. I think that for the right price Maine Narrow Gauge might let it go, provided they felt it was going to a good home and was going to be fixed. I think 8 is a bit big for them.

As I remember they used 7 and 8 at Edaville at Christmas time as they could pull the longer trains and steam heat the cars.

I thought that they ran 3 and 4 doubleheaded at Xmas, using one of the two to steam heat the cars.

Louis Whitlow had told me that they normally ran three trains at Christmas. I think they left the station at 10 to 15 minute intervals.

Does anyone remember how long the trip was? I think it used to be about 40 minutes _+. Maybe it was only 30.

With the long trains and running three of them, they must have moved a lot of people in the old days.

Does anyone remember the night back around '78 I think it was when they broke an axle on one of the cars during the Xmas season?