• East River Tunnels Thread

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by RC '75

ADMIN: Sandy repairs discussed here: https://railroad.net/viewtopic.php?f=216&t=158915

Hi,

Does anyone know the reason why the East River Tubes have different color lighting?

I've noticed that the LIRR tubes have orange lighting, while the Amtrak / NJT tubes have white color lighting.

Thanks...

by pennsy

Hi,

Similar to your street lighting. Fluorecent lights vs incandescent lights vs Sodium lights vs whatever. Even the headlights of your car can have several different types of lights.

by iamchris9119

Not really related, but what do the blue lights in tunnels mean? I don't think they're signals. Are they emergency exits?

by RearOfSignal

Not exactly sure about LIRR but it could show where emergency phones and fire extinguishers are located in tunnels.

by 7 Train

White lighting is the flourecent. Even the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels differ, with the former with white lighting and other with orange/yellow light. (I prefer the latter).
  by amtrakhogger

Those blue lights in the tunnels are locators for emergency
call boxes to communicate with PSCC. Those boxes can also
kill the 3rd rail power in the vicinity of that location.
  by checkthedoorlight

Just need a quick clarification, after a discussion I had with a semi-railfan friend when we were in NYP this morning. I know that during peak hours, LIRR takes over tracks 15-13 and uses lines 1 & 2 so that multiple trains can enter/leave NYP at the same time, but during each peak time, does LIRR use both lines 1 and 2, or just one of them (2 in the morning, 1 in the evening)? Also, are lines 1/2 only used by tracks 13-15, or do 16-17 normally use them during peak hours as well?
  by Jersey_Mike

mookie wrote:How are trains controlled through these tunnels? Does one train have to be through the tunnel completely before another train can pass through? What is the speed limit through the tunnel?
Each tunnel is divided into several automatic blocks of about 1000-2000 feet in length and speeds are 60mph.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

TMI
  by Head-end View

Back in the pre-M-7 days, it was great to watch out the front window on the M-1's and see the color-light signals in the tunnels at regular intervals as stated above. If you can catch an M-3 train with a front window that is still clear enough to see through, you can still check out that view. Best of luck........
  by mwichten

Anyone else skeptical of someone who joins and immediately asks about East River tunnel operations for their first two posts?
  by lirr42

mwichten wrote:Anyone else skeptical of someone who joins and immediately asks about East River tunnel operations for their first two posts?
Mr. Mookie asked reasonable quesions, and Mr. JerseyMike gave a perfectly acceptable answer. What's stopping him or her from looking out the side window of an M7 or Arrow and figuring out the distance between signals that way? It's not like we're telling Mr. Mookie any super secret security things (of which there are many if you are up to no good, Mr. Mookie ;-))

And I must say the majority of first-time Railroad.net posters (at least on the railfan side of things) are asking some sort of question about railroad operations, that is why we are all here after all.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

I agree, a bit too much information, thats why i responded with TMI. No need for the general public to know about tunnel operations. Thats why on 911 the first thing they did was close the tunnels untill they were inspected. Lets be careful with any info given in here. 7 days till the anniversary. THINK people.
  by SwingDog

You should probably call the MTA Police NOW.
  by Jersey_Mike

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:I agree, a bit too much information, thats why i responded with TMI. No need for the general public to know about tunnel operations. Thats why on 911 the first thing they did was close the tunnels untill they were inspected. Lets be careful with any info given in here. 7 days till the anniversary. THINK people.
o.0 Are you just trying to parody a paranoid wing nut or are you actually being serious? Please explain how the one line of information I gave was A) "too much" and B) could possibly be used for malicious purposes.

I don't know what you actually believe, but the whole reason that the MTA in general and the LIRR in particular are so tight fisted with information is because they are looking to avoid outside criticism and preserve the status quo.