• East Deerfield - 1967

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by ElburnAl

The west end of East Deerfield Yard - 1967
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by MEC407

Nice shot!
  by Eliphaz

Thanks for sharing !
My earliest introduction to railroading was exactly that scene,
my grandparents lived about 15 minutes from there in Montague when I was a kid.
Ive been modeling the 60s era B&M ever since.
  by ElburnAl

MEC407 wrote:Nice shot!
Thank you.

There are slider bars around the picture. Are there size limitations for posting photos? Or are the bars due to limitations of my browser?
  by MEC407

I think that's just something that the forum software does automatically for pictures that are over a certain height/width. If you click on the picture, the scroll bars go away. At least they do on my end.
  by Engineer Spike

What was the tall red building that is between the nose of the third RS3 and the GP7?
  by ElburnAl

Engineer Spike wrote:What was the tall red building that is between the nose of the third RS3 and the GP7?
I remember it as the "Wirthmore Feed" facility. It may have had a different name, tho.
  by Engineer Spike

Was it during the 4R rehab of the Fitchburg when the main was relocated to the outside edge of the yard? I have also heard that the Commonwealth owns the yard. Is this true, and how did it come about? Was it due to back taxes while B&M was bankrupt?
  by ElburnAl

Between this thread and various posts on the Pan Am forum there has been a bit of conversation about East Deerfield Yard and ownership thereof.

My question has to do with environmental pollution.

How did Pan Am become responsible for the alleged groundwater pollution caused by the old Lake Asphalt (I believe that was the name) plant?

I'd opine that Pan Am should be held accountable for any environmental hazards created by its facilities, but I am not sure why Pan Am should be held responsible for monitoring/correcting hazards caused by a long out of business corporation that abutted the EDE yard.