• East Brookfield Station Fire

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:
tom18287 wrote:everyone, lay off him, he's just trying to save a beautiful old building. nothing wrong with that :D
There is nothing wrong with the goal, everything wrong with Dylan's approach. But I guess when you are 15, you already have all the answers.

-otto-
Two things:
1) as of yesterday, it's 16 (those on the sidewalk, please stick to the sewers; expect bad driving)
2) I'm nowhere near having all the answers.
Wish I did though. That's why I've been trying to look at things from another perspective, and ask questions. So, what I've gotten in the last two days is that the depot would be difficult to take apart and put back together, the restoration will run anywhere from the 6 digits to $1 million, and the depot won't go back together exactly how it's meant to.
Another important factor, you can't have an effective group leadership with three people. Anyone willing to step up?
  by daylight4449

Well, the tornado came very close to the depot, and Dennis Lebeau and Dan Lambert. Glad they're both ok. Looks like Monson got hit, so does anyone know if Brian Solomon is OK? Know the last part is off topic though, but I feel that I had to ask...
  by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote: Looks like Monson got hit, so does anyone know if Brian Solomon is OK? Know the last part is off topic though, but I feel that I had to ask...
Why, do you know him personally? I'll let him know you asked about him... I'm sure he'll be... confused.

-otto-
  by NYCRS3

Brian is fine, upright, and still taking nourishment.......Also, the tornado was very far removed from East Brookfield by many miles.
  by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:
daylight4449 wrote: Looks like Monson got hit, so does anyone know if Brian Solomon is OK? Know the last part is off topic though, but I feel that I had to ask...
Why, do you know him personally? I'll let him know you asked about him... I'm sure he'll be... confused.

-otto-
Well, as it stands now, I'm going to finally meet him tomorrow night at the steaming tender. Besides, if your hometown suffered a major catasrophe, I'd want to know that your ok Otto. Just because you don't know someone personally doesn't mean you can't be worried if they're ok. Guess that Brian was in Dublin (heard from Bob Buck), not sure if he got back before the tornado. Anywho, he's going to do an article on the depot in "the headlight". For those who don't know, it's the New York Central System Historical Society's publication. I have the issue that featured the Richardson style depots. Very well written.
  by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote:Well, as it stands now, I'm going to finally meet him tomorrow night at the steaming tender.
A good learning experience for you. Notice I didn't say "speaking."
Besides, if your hometown suffered a major catasrophe, I'd want to know that your ok Otto. Just because you don't know someone personally doesn't mean you can't be worried if they're ok.
Th... thanks? (Awkward)
Guess that Brian was in Dublin (heard from Bob Buck), not sure if he got back before the tornado.
So you're namedropping now, that's good. Wonder where Mr. Buck got the conflicting report from?
Anywho, he's going to do an article on the depot in "Central Headlight". For those who don't know, it's the New York Central System Historical Society's publication.
First bit of sense out of your mouth so far.

-otto-
  by daylight4449

Well, Dan updated the website today. Um, how do I put it... you know what, I'll let everyone else draw their own conclusions
  by Cadet57

daylight4449 wrote:Well, Dan updated the website today. Um, how do I put it... you know what, I'll let everyone else draw their own conclusions
What website? Some of your posts are as vague as a speech by the President.
  by daylight4449

Cadet57 wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:Well, Dan updated the website today. Um, how do I put it... you know what, I'll let everyone else draw their own conclusions
What website? Some of your posts are as vague as a speech by the President.
http://eastbrookfielddepot.com

Seriously, I just knew it was getting updated. "I'm flattered" might be the correct term.
  by daylight4449

Well, there is going to be an interview with the Spencer New Leader (the paper that is sent out in Leicester, Spencer, and the Brookfields) for a follow-up article within the next few days. Stay tuned.
  by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:And? Articles and voices of support are great, where's the money needed to reach your goal?
We can't start fundraising until we've got our 501c(3) status. Sad to say, but that's the way it is. However, before I came on board, Dan and Dennis had consulted with Preservation Massachusetts (who is now writing a letter of support for us), and although moving the depot will basically make many historical restoration grants harder to get, but it turns out we would qualify for a DOT grant to fund the move. But, the funding all goes back to the 501c(3) paper work, which is in the works. I know Dan has filed some of the paperwork, but I'm not sure to what extent, or what else needs to be completed.
  by Cadet57

So federal money to save a pile of burnt bricks. No wonder this country is broke.