• E-8 Excursion Report

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by dwil89

Staying a couple of nights at the Quality Inn Enola, where I can look out and see the hump from my window. I rode the first excursion at 9AM. Turnout was great...looked like a sellout. The engines were set up as push pull. Run started about 10 minutes behind schedule, as the Harrisburg Terminal Dispatcher had to fit the 'Amtrak Special' in with the busy freight traffic. Apparently this busy traffic on NS resulted in alot of cars in the Enola Yards...The Excursion was originally supposed to run through the Yards to Lemoyne. On the first run, we made it as far as the West Hump, located almost directly across from the Quality Inn. Here we were blocked by a train crossing our path being shoved over the hump, so we had to reverse and head back, to the surprise of many riders on board....Don't know if either of the other two runs got any further then we did.....I photographed the other two runs from the Iron Bridge at Enola, along River Road, and from the Boat launch at Marysville as the train crossed over the Rockville Bridge...all in all, an enjoyable day in spite of the shortened run. Dave Williams @ [email protected]
  by OCtrainguy

I photographed the first two excursions then rode the third one. We stopped a shirt distance south of the I-81 overpasss. No one in our coach from the NRHS said anything about where we had stopped. Aside from myself and my friend, no one else even seemed to notice, in our coach of course, I can't speak for the others. So we didn't go as far as the first excursion did.

I will be making a return trip out there. My friend and I saw many of the ex-Conrail GP38s out there, but due to the weather, couldn't get any good photos of them. Some of them found there way onto the Conrail Shared Assets Southern Secondary (ex-CNJ Southern Division Main Line), which is our neighborhood local.

by Schuylkill Valley

Hi all,
I took video of the 9am trip from Rockville Interlocking near the over pass for Rt. 322 . It was raining just a little bit so I had my umbrella up. so if any of you`s were on the right side and saw a guy with a umbrella up at CP.Rockville that was me. lol. The first train I took there, was a coal train with 6 flats of yellow combines. The next train was the special.

I rode the 12pm trip, we reached the lead tracks that goses into the engine shops, then went back. Our trip was packed full. On the return trip I walk through the train to the front and was talking with a few guys in the head end MU car right behine #5711, I enjoyed the trip very much. that was the fourth time I crossed the Rockville bridge, the first was in 1984 on the broad Way Limited.

I railfan the last trip at the Used Car lot over looking the yard, but as someone stated the E`s never came that far. I then quicky went over to Bair`s Boat ramp to watch the special go across the bridge . I like the horn blasted as they came onto the bridge. Despite the on and off rain and fog I had a great time.

Len.
  by LCJ

dwil89 wrote:On the first run, we made it as far as the West Hump, located almost directly across from the Quality Inn. Here we were blocked by a train crossing our path being shoved over the hump, so we had to reverse and head back, to the surprise of many riders on board....
I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same. During my time as trainmaster in Enola, operations were much as you describe pretty much all of the time. If you wanted to move a train, you had to wait until the hump was finished. If you wanted to hump, you wait for a train to move. Yet, system operations expected throughput to be the equivalent of other major terminals that were designed properly (or didn't have super-close track centers, or every other track out of service).

Thankfully I can say I once worked in Enola....
  by dwil89

The PA system did not work in our car...Car number 1...The Guide that was on board mentioned that the East Hump was going to be reactivated at Enola...hopefully within the next year or two, to join the West hump currently in operation..Anyone else hear anything on this...this is the first I've heard of it...Dave Williams @ [email protected]

by Schuylkill Valley

Hi all,
Dave you asked about the East Hump. that`s news to me too. I didn`t hear anyone talking about on my trip at 12pm. It would be neat to see both working, but don`t hold your breath.

Dave what do you look like I might have seen you ?

Len.
  by dwil89

I was wearing Black pants and black t shirt with a maroon plaid flannel shirt, and black cap with 'Cassandra Railroad Overlook" on it...I was shooting the 12 Noon from the Iron Bridge at Enola.....I was at the Harrisburg Station from 8AM until about 11AM though good part of that was riding the 9AM run...shot alot around the station after the first run returned....Dave Williams@ [email protected]