Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by JayMan

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.nationalcorridors.org/df/df03282005.shtml

Scroll down to "Duff irked at Rell"

This little article ends with making it appear that the P40s that CDOT will get will somehow solve the problem. I have to admit that I didn't expect the evasiveness coming out of the governor's office.

by NJD8598

This was in my newspaper last week I think. I basically wrote it off as this guy trying to get some publicity for himself and he just happened to pick the trains to do so. He could have stopped at a rest area on 95 and handed out papers saying 95 needs to be fixed just as easily.

by DutchRailnut

Duff is barking up the wrong tree, the Mafersa cars won't run on Metro north other than SLE services.
MNCR will not run trains with manual doors into GCT, the ACMU's were last.
and the 8 diesels ConnDOT will lease buy won't go into GCT eiter.
MNCR is currently running two east bound and two west bound bomb trains to new haven.
1556 and 1560 I believe, I don't know the morning train numbers.

by JayMan

Dutch, have those trains freed up any M2(4/6)s?

by DutchRailnut

what do you think ?? if you replace a 7 car M series train with 7 bomb cars did you free up M equipment ??? now do it with two trains and......

by MN Jim

1560 (not sure about 1556) has been running with bomb equipment for as long as I can remember, so it has nothing to do with freeing up SLE equipment for use on the NHL.

Jim

by JayMan

DutchRailnut wrote:what do you think ?? if you replace a 7 car M series train with 7 bomb cars did you free up M equipment ??? now do it with two trains and......
I didn't know if those trains have freed up any MUs or had replaced cars that went out-of-service.

by AMoreira81

The only cars that have been freed up by the Mafersa cars are some midday Waterbury trains.

Here are a few pics, taken yesterday at Waterbury.

The addition of SLE cars would free up at MOST 2 locos and 6 or 7 BOM push-pull coaches (not sufficient enough to add more NH service). What Rell needs to do is commit to 3 or 4 more P32-like locomotives.

Also, on a related note, what is the status of the MTA's west of Hudson cars? (Those cars could be placed in service if the appropriate modifications have been made, and thus add 25 or so cars to the Croton-Harmon pool.)

by MN Jim

AMoreira81 wrote:Also, on a related note, what is the status of the MTA's west of Hudson cars? (Those cars could be placed in service if the appropriate modifications have been made, and thus add 25 or so cars to the Croton-Harmon pool.)
See http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9467

Jim

by AMoreira81

David Telesha wrote:Thats a Shore Line East train that got put in Waterbury service..... The VRE cars have already freed some SLE Bombardier cars.
This may also explain why the midday train was reinstated. Ironically, (Off Topic), two 40-foot buses (at 38 pax each) could be used, and the time about as good, as the Waterbury Branch runs pretty parallel to the Route 8 Expressway.

by DutchRailnut

The SLE train does 3 midday trips on Waterbury.
The MNCR train only riuns first trip and evening trips.
Busses can not keep up with the scheduling Adam and the cost was just as high as the train so that is why service was restored. the 3 busses also had no redundancy in seats for during bad weather or when others decide to take the train.
Just becaue you only saw X amount of people does not mean other days are same.

by AMoreira81

Thank you. I stand corrected there.