• Dual-mode Babylon Local 12.15.2004

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by bellstbarn

Yesterday, I awaited the 10 a.m. westbound at Wantagh, train 57, Wednesday December 15, 2004. Surprise! A five-car dual-mode stopped for us, 500 leading and 516 on the rear. A few people boarding along the way seemed surprised to find a stairway inside the car, but the five cars handled the crowd. I asked a ticket collector how we earned this set. The reply was something like, "Trouble on the Main Line caused a shortage of equipment." Only guessing, at Penn Station they needed an eastbound to Babylon sometime earlier and the nearest empty train was this DM. But it was funny to look down on Kew Gardens station and it seemed like a low-level platform. Because of banging when we left stations, I suspect 516 was pushing. We arrived at Penn, track 20, 7 minutes late, and the signs there said "West Side Yard."

by IslesFan

I remember back in Feb. the 9am train from bellmore was substitued with DM equipment. I was supposed to change at Jamaica for FBA, but after being on that... I was like nah... I'll take it the entire way. They do ride pretty nicely.
  by Clemuel

That equipment almost made a trip to Port Washington...

Yes, it fits on the entire branch with the exception of 4/5 Track in Port Wash, due to the canopy. And yep, there have been bi-levels out in Port Wash, but never as a revenue train.

Clem

by NIMBYkiller

DUDE! THAT WOULD BE THE SH*T!!!!!!!!!!! How many cars was it going to be? Oh man. I would give anything to ride a C3 on the PW line. That would probably be scary as hell going over the Manhasset viaduct sitting on the upper level.

It's a shame they don't have more DMs, cuz then we could actually have enough seats on the PW line. Even the last off peak on weekdays eastbound is SRO.

by 9C1LT1

I second that! To ride a double decker (C3) on the PW branch, that would be cool!!!!

-Barry

by LIengineerBob

When equiptment shortages happen, due to one reason or another, Dual Modes will be substituted for regular MU equiptment. It's not all that uncommon, but sure is a suprise for the waiting passenger!!!

by JoeLIRR

i seen somthing at VA a few yrs back, a DE took a dump so they discharged the passengers at VA then another DE cam in and picked them up. was a very intresting day to see diesels taking on people @ valley.

i know it's not the same as posted above but it was still a suprise,

also somtimes i see a DE is routed to VA southside, then waits for the montauk to clear and then proceed out east. stopping at VA, but not taking on passengers..

would it hurt the LIRR in any way to maby run a babylon train that stops at locost mannor, luralton, rosedale, valley stream, lynbrook,RVC, baldwin then maby terminiting at port. where they can then take another train to babylon, or just run the same train express after port?

just an intresting configuration.

by LIengineerBob

Where do you mean by VA?? Never heard of that one in my 16 years onthe LIRR!!
As for your configuration of stops, it's really a matter of scheduling and time. If a train was to make all those stops (and I have done it operating under less than normal circumstances), it would take about 2 hours, maybe a little more, to get from Babylon to NYP making every stop along the way. Plus, what stops would the Far Rock anf Long Beach trains make?? Also, remember that to get from the Montauk (Babylon) tracks to Valley Stream and make all the stops along the Atlantic branch to Jamaica, the train would need to cross over at Valley. Normaly a Long Beach or Far Rock train is scheduled very close to the Babylon train to pick up passengers at those stops for the infamous "change at Jamaica". That way, the Babylon train need not cross over at Valley and can continue straight along on the Montauk tracks, while the FR or LB train can continue along the Atlantic branch, and they don't even have to cross over each other at Jamaica.

by JoeLIRR

I was saying that so one, does not need to go to jamaica to pay the fare from jamaica east. in witch i have seen is true. if i got on a train on the babylon/montauk branch at valley. i would not have to pay more (just for back tracking) in a sence any one who travels east (from W.of lynbrook & East of Locost mannor.) have to backtrak to the "change @ jam" and are paying for backtrak. so depend on your zones, a simple $3.50 tickit OW, easlly becomes $7.00 that can be avoided in 1 of 2 ways, run a train as i statied above, or charg the person from there (point of orgine) to there (point of destnition)

BTW, i was using VA to reprosent "VAlley stream" just cutting corners on the typing there... not meaning it as call letters or anything.

by M1 9147

One interesting thing to see the DM's subbing for MU's, and also operating via Atlantic Branch in other means. I know that there is no restriction in that to happen either. And also DE taking over for DE. This must of been a Montauk Branch train east of Babylon to hit the crapper resulting in one to terminate its partial run at Valley. Hey Bobby, where have you been???????? Tischner, and I have been looking for you!!!!!!!!