• Downeaster Trackwork & Upgrades

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by trainmancs

I was at the route 9 junction crossing in cumberland yesterday and the freight train that was going through headed to portland was going at least 25 mph which was a bit fast when the normal speed limit is 10 mph but then again it was riding on the new welded rail on a downhill grade, also the time between the train activating the crossing signals and getting to the crossing was about 10 to 15 seconds which is normally about 45 seconds to a minute
  by gokeefe

For those of us that closely follow developments related to trackwork and upgrades for the Downeaster route today's Portland Press Herald (January 27, 2011) has some pretty significant news buried in a story about the proposals for a new rail passenger station in downtown Portland.

From the Portland Press Herald, January 27, 2011, "Authority will study downtown train depot", by Mr. Edward D. Murphy
The rest of the study will focus on design issues that Quinn hopes could shave about 10 or 15 minutes off the current time of two hours, 25 minutes for a trip between Boston and Portland.

Quinn said it's possible that banking some turns, straightening some stretches of track and improving signal lights could allow trains to maintain their top speed of 79 mph for longer periods. She said engineers will have to determine which potential changes are worth the cost.

The study will also look at whether it makes sense to add parallel lines in some areas to allow trains to pass each other in more locations. The lack of more such locations limits the Downeaster to five roundtrips a day, she said.

Quinn said the authority is putting out a request for proposals from engineers and consultants needed for the study.
Some time ago we had a substantial discussion in this thread about possible further improvements to the line among which superelevation of curves (which I take it is the 'banking' referred to by Ms. Quinn) was one of the potential means for further speed improvements. At the time people involved in the discussion referenced PAR/GRS dislike of such methodology on the basis that it increased rail wear (replacement of which they are 100% liable for). Apparently this policy (if it ever existed in the first place) has been rescinded (at least in NNEPRAs case). Furthermore there also appear to be indications that curves in certain locations might be realigned. I'm guessing this would make use of the two track wide right of way to lessen the degree of the curve for single track.

I am suprised to say the least that this is being proposed but since this is being discussed publicly I am assuming that NNEPRA has already received approval for this from PAR. If PAR really ever had a policy against superelevation it is a major step on their part to rescind it. Although by now we all know that PAR has become very hospitable to state and federally funded track improvements by NNEPRA on its property this appears to be a whole new level of cooperation. The best part about this is that it is potentially quite cheap to do compared to other possible improvements.
  by Dick H

The Downeaster track upgrade from Atkinson NH (State Line) to Portland was
done in 2000 and 2001. So the tie replacement is 10 years old or soon will be.
I believe, on average, they replaced every third tie. Who only knows what the
the age of the other 2/3 of the ties are. At any rate, at some point,
there will be need for another extensive tie replacement and resurfacing job.
Over the ten years, there has been some resurfacing here and there in problem
areas, but no general work. Regardless of how the contract with NNEPRA is
worded, I don't see PAR doing a major tie replacement and resurfacing job
without more funds from NNEPRA. Reportedly, they have recently cut back
the number of track personnel, depsite all the extra work with the snow storms.

NNEPRA needs to be on the lookout for temporary slow orders that become
permanent. A distinct possibility with PAR..
  by gokeefe

Do they have some type of binding agreement with PAR that mandates maintenance of service to certain levels?

I thought that was the whole idea in the first place. The state rebuilds it once and the railroad maintains it thereafter with the state/federal government making additions as required.
  by markhb

Does anyone know the details regarding the intended track class and signal situation in the upgrade area? I've heard that the existing DE ROW is Class IV, and that some portion of the newly-upgraded line will be Class III, and that is at least in part due to some portion of that trackage being dark territory. So I guess my question is threefold:
  • Is there a difference in the tracks themselves between Class III and Class IV, or are the track specs the same and the difference is in the existence or type of signals?
  • North/East of what point is the POR_BRK route going to be Class III? I can think of three obvious possibilities:
    • Mountain Junction; i.e., the entire new route will be Class III;
    • Royal Junction, the departure point of the Brunswick Branch from the PAR main;
    • Yarmouth Junction, the intersection with the SLR.
  • If there is a difference in the track specs between Class III and Class IV, what part of the extended route is dark territory? I'd have trouble believing that much of the main line is, which is what prompted this question.
Thanks very much for any info.
  by obienick

I believe it is 261 to Cumberland, then DCS beyond (with some segments with overlain ABS around Lees Jct.) and a bit more 261 around Waterville.
  by obienick

No signals, MAS is limited to 59 mph passenger. No cab signals limits passenger trains to 79 mph.
  by markhb

Thanks for the answers, folks. I had to do some research to find out what some things like 261 meant, but I think I got it. The underlying question, though -- what portion, if any, of the expansion area will be 79 MPH, is one that I'll have to try to find out from NNEPRA.

Incidentally, I did finally find this document, which does include all (or most of) the FRA regulations from the CFR.

Thanks again!
  by Finch

Just going to say once more, as I have already mentioned a couple times in some Downeaster thread or another:

It seems there is already a bit of 79 mph running outside of the marsh. Somewhere between Exeter and Haverhill, there are at least a few miles where the train will hit ~79. Time the mileposts with your watch, and you will see that one ticks by about every 45 seconds. I don't remember precisely, but I'd say they maintain this speed for about 3-6 miles.

This isn't to downplay the significance of further upgrades to expand 79 mph running; that would be great to see. I'm just saying, the train does stretch its legs a bit in the relatively straight running between Exeter and Haverhill. :)
  by markhb

Finch, next time I take the train down, I'll have to keep an eye on that. I have an app on my phone that will generate MPH from the GPS receiver, so that'll save me from trying to spot the mileposts.

I did manage to ask Patricia Quinn about the track upgrades. I won't repeat her answer here as it was outside the public meeting Tuesday, but I was pleased with what she said.
  by Watchman318

The company doing the drainage and track work in Brunswick, K&K Excavation of Turner, got underway last Monday (02/28). They removed a lot of snow between Maine St. and Union St., on both sides of the track. By Thursday, they had cleared the south side of the main track from Union St. to the former MERR Brunswick stop. (The parking lot inside the Lewiston I.T. wye, at Cedar St.)
On Friday, they appeared to be hauling out some old asphalt from the north side of the track, across from the new Maine St. Station.

The opening of the bids for the construction of the Brunswick and Freeport platforms was apparently delayed a week by some changes. (02/23 to 03/02.)
No award has been posted on MDOT's projects/contracts page yet, but the lowest bidder for the platform work was D&C Construction (Waterboro?).

Moving right along, in spite of the weather . . .
  by Jeremy Zella

Are there any plans to have service restored to Bangor? It seems to me that there would be a need / desire for such service. Having at least a stop in Augusta and maybe other towns along the way.

Jeremy
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Jeremy Zella wrote:Are there any plans to have service restored to Bangor? It seems to me that there would be a need / desire for such service. Having at least a stop in Augusta and maybe other towns along the way.

Jeremy
Studied, but...baby steps. Get Brunswick up, build up a ridership head of steam, get the schedules fattened out first.
  by gokeefe

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
Jeremy Zella wrote:Are there any plans to have service restored to Bangor? It seems to me that there would be a need / desire for such service. Having at least a stop in Augusta and maybe other towns along the way.

Jeremy
Studied, but...baby steps. Get Brunswick up, build up a ridership head of steam, get the schedules fattened out first.
I'm not even sure its really been studied all that much....

If by 'plans' you mean restore X trains to Bangor/Augusta in Y year the answer is No.

Sadly, there is little if any 'need / desire' for this service at present. The population densities simply won't support it.