• doublestacks to Springfield, MA?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by MBTA3247

I read in a recent article that new clearance improvements will allow doublestacks to reach Springfield, MA for the first time in December. I thought that there was sufficient clearance for doublestacks all the way to Worcester (indeed, I have a slide from 2001 showing doublestacks either arriving or departing from Worcester on the former B&A from there to Springfield). Am I mistaken, or is the article wrong?
  by CSX Conductor

Double stacks do already go east to the P&W in Worcester. However, if you look through the B&A thread in this forum, you'll find mentioning of expanding clearances to allow larger containers.

Try this link. :wink: Go towards the last few pages.
  by MBTA3247

Thanks.
  by railman616

Currently there is two project underway on the west end of the B&A. The first is a undercut around milepost 158.7. There will be another area MP 156.7.(its been hit twice before) The second project is raising a bridge at milepost 183.5 in New York. The bridge around mp 125 will have to be raised or undercut. Other projects may require State help around Worcester and others areas.
  by roberttosh

It will be interesting to see what they do at Palmer as that road bridge looks to be jacked up about as much as possible and the diamond with the NECR prevents them from starting the undercut approach much further west than it already is. I guess they can always go with a big dip like they have up at the Bellows Falls tunnel but that would probably require a speed restriction. Time will tell I guess....
  by railman616

When that bridge was rebuilt it was raised to over 21' 6' which should be fine for the stacks and Max Racks. All new bridge work will have to be 23" above the railhead. The undercut I think are at 22'. When are they going to finish the Rt 20 bridge at the ball field?
  by frrc

Bridge work in Brookfield is supposed to start this month, and work on bridges in Westboro is scheduled for 2011, according to newspaper articles. Re: Palmer bridge, I goto Palmer once/twice a month and haven't seen any work done on that
bridge in a while.

J