• Doubleheaded locos - seen any ?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by BlockLine_4111

In this day and age does NJT resort to doubling power on certain trains ?

I haven't been around recently to know, i do know well back in the day with the older stuff you'd see neat lashups every once in awhile (2 U34s, 2 GP40Ps, GP40P w/U34, GP40P w/F7A, 2-3 E8As, 2 GP7s, GP40P w/GP7, GP40P w/E8A, F40 w/GP7, F40 w/E8A, 2 GG1s).

by Sirsonic

Currently, NJT trains do not need more than one locomotive. As such, doubleheaded trains are rare. There are occasions where a train will be doubleheaded. Wednesday was an example. In order to bring back a shopped locomotive from Port Jervis it was necessary to send a locomotive to Port to pick it up as it had a speed restriction. To facilitate moving the second locomotive to Port, train 45 was doubleheaded out of Hoboken to Port Jervis. Upon arrival at Port, the west locomotive was cut off, and used to tow the other back.

by Mudvalve

About 3, maybe 4 years ago while driving through New Brunswick I saw a train stopped at the station with 2 ALPs. What was even more interesting was that the train was in "push" mode. Would have made for a nice photo.

by transit383

Theyre not exactly doubleheaded, but certain RVL trains have been running with two locomotives lately, one on the east end and one on the west end.

by Jtgshu

There was a train last year that came down the Coast LIne, with THREE ALP's on it.....two were on the west end, one on the east.

The yardmaster was quite surprised when he found out about that one!

What they were doing with them, I dunno, (neither did he!) but it sure was a sight to see!!!

by nick11a

I once saw a double headed ALP44/ALP46 train wizzing through Summit. It was an early morning express from Dover that wizzes through Summit sometime around 7:32 AM. Other than that, that is all I have seen.

That three car ALP train sounds real interesting though. I can only imagine the acceleration on that baby!

by njtmaszynista

When locomotves come back from overhaul at mmc, they are usually paired with another loco and places on a revenue trip. This is done for testing purpose. The second loco is off line and is available in case the test loco has problems. Upon return to Hob the test loco is set off.
The 4193 and 4194 were tested in the same way when they arrived. :P
  by EDM5970

I think there is some confusion over the term "double headed". If a pair or group of locomotives is operated on a train, and each has a crew, then they are double headed, or even triple headed. Steam locomotives are double headed, as they don't have MU, the "Multiple Unit" cables and equipment.

In the case of NJT, I would imagine that the locomotives were running in MU, either as part of an equipment move between the shop and an outlying terminal, or for testing purposes. I doubt that these moves are true "double headers" with an engineer at each throttle.

by transit383

Here's a nice pic of a doubleheaded (or a train with two locomotives, however you want to say it) train with a GP7 and a GP40P with the old CNJ coaches:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=56512

Does anyone know how long those CNJ coaches stuck around before they were finally retired? Did they get retired when the C2 order arrived in 1982?

by BlockLine_4111

IIRC the first F40PH-2s arrived in 1981 and ran out of Hoboken initially as to give the U34CHs a small break (e.g. 4113-4117, 4119). The C2s started arriving on the RVL about the 1st, 2nd quarter of 1982. Once the all the CNJ cars were replaced on the RVL the C2 replacement program began on the NJCL for the Newark-to-Bay Head trains only about later 1982-mid 1983 IIRC. When the E60s replaced the GG1s the C2s and remaining non-HEP coaches swapped duties (i.e. HEP equipment running right on into NYC).

I remember seeing doubleheaded GP40Ps lugging a NJCL train from Newark through Rahwah station in 1986.

BTW anyone seen or heard from Olog Hai and Norb, time to come aboard.

by nick11a

BlockLine_4111 wrote: BTW anyone seen or heard from Olog Hai and Norb, time to come aboard.
...and also good ol' Bob Scheurle too.

by Zeke

I saw GP-40 4212 and 4213 mued back to back today on the RVL. I have seen double headers before but always elephant style. They were both on line churning away leaving Raritan today at 5:30 pm on an eastbound.

by BlockLine_4111

nick11a wrote:
BlockLine_4111 wrote: BTW anyone seen or heard from Olog Hai and Norb, time to come aboard.
...and also good ol' Bob Scheurle too.
Ah yes Mr. Scheurle, IIRC he has a small but tight nit circle of fans within the NJ forums including NJ.com website. Birds of a feather tend to flock together as I was told.

by ryanov

Olog posts on nj.com. I was also kinda curious what happened to him.

by BlockLine_4111

Is Bob Scheurle using a different handle ? If not I'd expect him to return eventually. Where is bobbys too ? He seems to be laying low. Where is
Lackawanna (aka riverline paul), Norb H., and some of the others from the old Montclair Connection threads ? Where is Sullivan too.

Time to come aboard.