• Donner Numbers?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by roberttosh

That was very interesting and insightful, thanks so much!! Sounds like some serious railfanning possibilities out that way!!

by cnw6922

roberttosh wrote:That was very interesting and insightful, thanks so much!! Sounds like some serious railfanning possibilities out that way!!
Yep, plenty of variety if you like yellow, but its never boring. :-)

At lunch today I saw 4 trains on the east side of Roseville:
nb ZLCSE - up the Valley
eb ASJNP - up Donnor
eb MSTNP - up Donnor
eb IOAG3 - up the Valley for Binney Jct and the FRC.

Then there are the days when nothing moves for hours.

by roberttosh

I guess the main reason I was asking about all those routings was because I was surprised to hear that Roseville is such a busy place, especially considering that none of the lines that feed directly into the yard appear to be that busy. I've been hearing for years that the Cascade line up to OR and the Donner line are both way off their peak volumes from years back, so I was just trying to figure out why Roseville had so much classification work. I guess knowing now that FRC trains head into the yard sometimes explains some of it, but again, unlike West Colton, which is on the real busy Sunset Route, Roseville doesn't seem to be on any really busy stretch of railroad. Thanks again for your help!

by mikeydc03

What is going on with Donner Right now there were trains lined up from Verdi almost to Farad yesterday, and the CZ was running later than usual. I recall I read somewhere that several slow orders have been lifted on the route? is there truth to that?

by cnw6922

mikeydc03 wrote:What is going on with Donner Right now there were trains lined up from Verdi almost to Farad yesterday, and the CZ was running later than usual. I recall I read somewhere that several slow orders have been lifted on the route? is there truth to that?
There is track work going on between Bowman and Colfax and out in the NV desert.

by mikeydc03

If only they could work with the publicity and motivation as they did on the trustle in Sac maybe more work could be accomplished more quickly. The overland route holds the most unexploited potential as anywhere in the UP network. The port of Oakland and Stockton, and Sacramento all could feed container trains onto the route. This would aleviate alot of stress on the Central Cal line through Bakersfield because traffic could be split over the routes and Tehachipi may get a little room to breathe to upgrade the tracks to operate more trains and possibly a passenger train or two.