• Does it behoove me to take the zephyr during Wyoming reroute

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Launcher

I understand that the Zephyr is rerouting west of Denver to go through Wyoming trackage during a rock slide clean-up. Amtrak.com status says these detoured trains have been running 2 to 3 hours late in both directions. I think that could jeopardize the transfer in Sacramento to points south, which leaves at 4:55 PM, as I am going down on that route to Los Angeles from Denver. The zephyrs have been pulling into Sacramento routinely after 5pm due to the detour. So, that is one reason against taking the train during the detour.

Another reason I am skeptical of the trip is that the youtube video of trains express routing through Wyoming seem less picturesque than the Rockies in their splendor, however I am wondering if I should view this as a unique opportunity to take Amtrak through Wyoming while it is available for a limited time, since it is not often offered.

Can anyone chime in on the pros or cons of accepting this detoured schedule?

Also, wow, the website for westbound passengers detraining in Provo, UT says they must self-transfer at Salt Lake City during the outage, and must wait in Salt Lake for up to 9.5 overnight hours for the bus to take them the rest of the way. Is it possible that travelers have to put themselves up for the night, or does Amtrak let people spend the night in the station at Salt Lake?
  by Rockingham Racer

Some posters here have commented that they will not attempt a close connection in a city such as Chicago due to tardiness of trains. Saves a lot of agita, but bumps the cost.
When the CZ detours through Wyoming, and it's on time, the train usually arrives early in either DEN or SLC. I've been on this route and the scenery is not on the same level of the Rockies, to be sure. But I find it to have its own interesting facets.
  by Launcher

Rockingham Racer wrote:Some posters here have commented that they will not attempt a close connection in a city such as Chicago due to tardiness of trains. Saves a lot of agita, but bumps the cost.
When the CZ detours through Wyoming, and it's on time, the train usually arrives early in either DEN or SLC. I've been on this route and the scenery is not on the same level of the Rockies, to be sure. But I find it to have its own interesting facets.
many thanks for the tips. My gut tells me to wait for the Rockies portion to be restored before booking this trip. It is scheduled to reopen on 5/29/14. This is a trip I have not taken in either direction, and may not get the opportunity to again anytime soon due to cost and other commitments. So, I will wait for the way it was supposed to be seen instead of the rare detour with all of its chances to let me down.

As for the timeliness of connections, Zephyr to the south sucks on a lot of levels, even if I make the connection in Sacramento, I'm rewarded with an overnight bus somewhere like Bakersville, yipee! NOT
  by slchub

That is correct as far as making up lost time or getting in ahead of schedule in SLC/DEN. The train runs non-stop either way expect for a crew change in Green River, WY. There were times we would get the train into SLC about 6:30-7:00 pm allowing the passengers time to detrain and wander around The Gateway and get a decent meal as the train did not leave until 11:30 pm.

While the scenery is not very interesting compared to the regular route, you do get an idea of what the high plains, central Rockies and Bridger Basin looks like. As well as the occasional antelope.
  by ThinkNarrow

I did the Wyoming reroute a few years ago. Never again. The regular route is spectacular. The reroute is blah. :-(

-John
  by Backshophoss

Sherman Hill is interesting,as is the scenery between Evanston-Odgen,you are hugging a canyon wall from Devils Slide
into Odgen following the Weber River. Almost an equal to Glennwood Canyon on the DRGW side.
You will have UP power on the point,due to UP's cab signal system.
  by pebbleworm

I really like the Wyoming route-after taking the usual Colorado route too many times, I REALLY like missing the the hours long 20 MPH canyon crawl. Leave that for the tourists. Not a popular view, but mine. The re-route shaves 10% off off of the time from EMY to CHI. That should mean something.
  by Launcher

pebbleworm wrote:I really like the Wyoming route-after taking the usual Colorado route too many times, I REALLY like missing the the hours long 20 MPH canyon crawl. Leave that for the tourists. Not a popular view, but mine. The re-route shaves 10% off off of the time from EMY to CHI. That should mean something.
I'm glad I got the opportunity to see the regular route restored when I went. You save zero time rerouting, unless you consider the possibility the train becomes "less delayed" which is no guarantee. My westbound even ran ahead of schedule, not that I was even worried about getting in to Sacramento half an hour early or earlier.
  by Gerry6309

I rode the UP when it was the regular route back in 1982. If you are a train operation nut you will be impressed by the traffic on the UP. Despite their not hosting Amtrak regularly, UP is one of the few railroads which still believes passenger is superior to freight. Expect a lesson in how CTC works!
  by Gilbert B Norman

While I have not ridden either route during the Amtrak era, I did so several times over each in the distant past, when likely 75% of the membership here simply "wasn't". I have, however, driven both 80 through WY and 70 through CO, and as recently as last year.

It was indeed an experience to be seated in the 90XX UP Dome Lounge (most of the 16 cars have been saved and either are in Executrain or PV service today). It was an experience to watch UP traffic running on "headway" - and with considerably greater traffic today compared to '69, it would be even more a show. It is hard to forget the travelers on the Overland trails navigating over the Wyoming moonscape under unimaginable conditions with the "not exactly" friendly native population.

If you have ridden the regular Rio Grande route, don't hesitate to jump if you learn that 5 & 6 are to be rerouted by the Overland Route.
  by Morning Zephyr

There's no comparison in terms of scenery. The D&RGW route Amtrak uses is nonstop views almost the whole way from Denver to Salt Lake City, with one canyon after another, ever-changing landscapes, and multiple climbs and ascents. The UP route across southern Wyoming certainly impresses the viewer with the expanse and extent of the arid high plains, but you have to be a fan of seeing lots of freight trains to consider that route to be scenic. To compare to another stretch of passenger railroading available today, it is comparable to the portion of the Sunset Limited route in New Mexico: mostly flat and dry and fast. The two exceptions with some visual appeal are Sherman Hill west of Borie (and even that is not spectacular, though it is the Continental Divide) and the Wasatch range in eastern Utah.