• Does anyone use the Locoinverter?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Just thinking about purchasing a Locoinverter--that converts the engines power from 74 volts up to 110. Was just wandering if it is something anyone else has used before?

I am not much of a coffee drinker----but give me some hot chocalate anytime!!!!!!!

Nashvillie Newbie

by DutchRailnut

for hot chocolat a $5 dip heater will work of the 75 volt DC outlet.

by slchub

Say Dutch, right on with the dip heater. I've used mine without any problems at all. I've said it here before as well, I have not had any problems with plugging my cell phone charger into the outlet below the console either. I've seen guys plug thier laptops in, however, I am not that strong in the stomach department as yet!

by DutchRailnut

just make sure antthing AC is plugged into a AC outlet.
The DC utlet is only for resistive loads like a heater or lamp.
The AC outlet should be safe, it probably feeds the onboard computer too of same inverter.

by Form 19

If you are looking to make coffee or anything like that, purchase a coffee pot that does not have a function that would be dedicated to AC..such as a timer or clock. The old style heater-element only coffee pots are fine and will work with AC or DC..

I have been using for years coffee pots made by MetalWare Corp. in Wisconsin. They operate from 12volts to 110volts..AC or DC. They are US Made and perfect for a train crew..3-8oz cups. You can plug it right into the 74VDC outlet and 15min later have coffee. Or use it on a 110VAC outlet in a crew room.

by westernrrtx

Yes it works great. I can run my portable N gauge set on the floor boards or the long nose of an SD-40 when we get stuck in a siding. I wish they made one for the dead head crew haul vans.