• Direct Traffic Control

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by CN_Hogger

But, specific to NORAC, Rule 500 "Occupying or fouling ABS territory"
says:"A train must not enter or foul ABS territory without a proceed indication on a controlled signal OR verbal permission of the Dispatcher.."
What's the NORAC definetion of a controled signal? In GCOR & USOR it's Dispatcher or Control Operator that controls the signal, i.e.: CTC absolute or a Manual Interlocking.

Never really knew that the NORAC rules were that different. I'm assuming that the CSX rules are pretty much NORAC with unused rules removed?

by LCJ

CN_Hogger wrote:Never really knew that the NORAC rules were that different. I'm assuming that the CSX rules are pretty much NORAC with unused rules removed?
NORAC's heritage is mostly in Penn Central-based (CT-400) Conrail rules. Amtrak, for NEC Ops, also based their book on them. Amtrak and Conrail were the driving forces (the big guys) for NORAC development.

PC Manual Block System morphed over the years to fill the needs of Conrail's dark territories -- using Form Ds over the radio to convey "authority" to occupy a main track in MBS with verbal block condition conveyed.

CSX rules developed independently of NORAC. They are an amalgomation of C&O-B&O-WM and Seaboard-L&N rules, I believe.

by CN_Hogger

LCJ wrote:
CSX rules developed independently of NORAC. They are an amalgomation of C&O-B&O-WM and Seaboard-L&N rules, I believe.
Thanks for clearing that up. So has CSX tried to standardize all their signals and such throughout the system so there aren't a bunch of different signal rules(aspects & indications) or are they still a little different between the ex-C&O and L&N for example?

by clearblock

CN_Hogger wrote: What's the NORAC definetion of a controled signal? In GCOR & USOR it's Dispatcher or Control Operator that controls the signal, i.e.: CTC absolute or a Manual Interlocking.

Never really knew that the NORAC rules were that different. I'm assuming that the CSX rules are pretty much NORAC with unused rules removed?
"Controlled Signal" is pretty much the same in NORAC:
"A fixed signal, capable of displaying Stop indication, that is controlled by a Dispatcher or Operator"

And the definition of "Automatic Block Signal System (ABS)":
"A block signal system in which the use of each block is governed by an automatic block signal, cab signal, or both."

"Form D Control System (DCS): A block system, signaled or non-signaled, in which the movement of trains outside of yard limits is authorized by Form D"

I think the only difference from what you describe is that, if DCS Rules are not in effect, or there are not timetable special instructions for a particular signal, the signal indication is the "authority" governing the "use" of the block. No written order or verbal permission is usually required. There are a few points in the timetable where a train entering a signaled subdivision from DCS territory needs verbal permission but this is rare.

The only one I know of in this area (CSX Albany NY Div) is for the 2 mi. long, single track (Rule 261) Fair Grounds SD that connects the Baldwinsville SD to the Mohawk SD (ex Conrail Chicago Line).

"Southward trains from Baldwinsville SD must not pass signal at CP-SALT without permission from ND Dispatcher"

In this case the train would be leaving the NE Dispatcher's non- signaled DCS for the ND's signaled territory so I guess it is to give the ND a "heads up" before the train actually enters his territory. (This is from the last CSX timetable under NORAC. I don't know if this is still in effect under the new CSX Rules.)