• Did NYA operate during the Blizzard?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by The Tenth Legion

Did NYA operate during the blizzard on Saturday and Sunday morning, or did they move everything that needed to be moved Thursday and Friday to beat the storm?
  by DogBert

I'd imagine at the least yard work occurred during the day Saturday at fresh pond. CSX did come in before the snow with a fairly long train.
  by RPM2Night

I think I heard someone say they saw a NYAR engine rescuing an LIRR passenger train, but that's the only NYAR activity I heard of during the blizzard. NYAR activity was probably limited Monday too, being that the weather alone was still giving the LIRR quite a hassle.
  by Jayjay1213

NYA activity after a snowfall is usually very limited. 9 times out 10, there is no prep work done, so when crews come in, the yard is completely snowed in. The first day after is usually just cleaning out the switches in the yard. The mainline switches take a few days for the LIRR to fix there stuff before they can be bothered cleaning out switches for the NYA.

I saw the CP head north Monday night, light engine thru New Hamburg on Metro North, thats a good sign that the status quo is still alive on NYA for snowstrom recovery....
  by tj48

RPM2Night wrote:I think I heard someone say they saw a NYAR engine rescuing an LIRR passenger train, but that's the only NYAR activity I heard of during the blizzard. NYAR activity was probably limited Monday too, being that the weather alone was still giving the LIRR quite a hassle.
Yep, I saw that train. M-7s being pushed by a NYA GP38-2. Although I was told that the LIRR borrowed the engine.
  by RPM2Night

Either way, that still must have been pretty cool to see. Where did this occur?
  by tj48

RPM2Night wrote:Either way, that still must have been pretty cool to see. Where did this occur?
I saw it on the mainline on the grade between Wyandanch and Deer Park.
  by RPM2Night

any good videos or pics of the NYAR engines being used in the snow?
  by LRail

So during this Feb. storm did NYA do any operations? Yard or otherwise? -Lee
  by KEN PATRICK

bookhaven rail terminal. what is it and why is brookhaven resisting? it is people who wish to deliver stone from saratoga. just like p&w does with stone from connecticut. why is this threatening? it's not garbage, sludges. just stone . eliminates 1000's of truck moves. it's a vacant 29 acre site. they want to deliver 200 carloads/week. isn't this what everyone needs? i'm hoping that folk reading this will ask their contacts why this is so threatening to their way of liife. ken patrick
  by LRail

Could you please stay on topic. My question was: What was NYA's operations like during the storm? -Lee
  by Teutobergerwald

We're the two NYA diesels (at least one, a GP facing west) on the siding at Pine-Aire staged as protect or snow-clearing engines for east of KO, or were they just waiting for their next job when I passed over the Main Line N/B on the Sagtikos Pkwy. this evening around 1950??? Thanks.
  by Shavano

Although a few months back the LIRR did borrow NYAR 268 and 271, and they did leave the 271 in the DEF (SEF now? :wink: ), it's likely if there were two GP38-2's coupled together, its just NYAR leaving their engines there until the westbound for Pond leaves.
  by BMT

On the big snowfall of Friday, February, 26, the NYA had a little problem on the Brooklyn end, when the ROW was blocked by a section of fallen tree. The location was the Bay Ridge cut at McDonald Ave. As my F train were passing overhead, I looked down and saw the tree on the roadbed. After finding their phone number, I called NYA the next morning to relay my findings. That's also when I found out that Joel Torres was no longer with NYA. Heard he returned to railroading on the west coast, from where he got his start.