• Diaper Changing Tables

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by FatNoah

Oddly, the Acela does have changing tables but the Regionals do not.... big selling point for the Acela if you ask me...
You laugh, but I've made use of them. My little guy's first train trip occurred when he was about 2.5 months old. Of course, whenever travelling we brought a changing pad that could be placed between the baby and whatever surface we were using. Keeps everything cleaner.
  by R30A

The oldest restrooms in the Amfleet fleet are a little over 20 years old, although most are substantially newer.

The mind boggling part is that I believe all ADA restrooms have a provision to have a changing table. There just isn't a changing table there! (Actually, I think a few might have one, although my memory could easily be faulty here. )
  by Tadman

This is an interesting conundrum that I have never had to consider before. I naturally assumed that I will mostly refrain from travelling when I have an infant. That view is reinforced when things like my flight from PHL-CHI happened yesterday and there were two screaming babies in back. I don't want to hear that on an aircraft, your child or mine, and will thus try to avoid long travel at that point.
  by usroadman

I don't think I would have considered a 2-hour flight to Chicago "long", but agree that when my kids were babies we preferred driving over public transportation. Much easier to react to a child's mood in a car, and if they are determined to scream at least you're the only one who has to listen to it. We definitely took a few flights, but no trains until the kids were older. I don't recall ever having to change a diaper in an airplane lavatory, but maybe I just suppressed the memory. I remember changing in airport terminals, but never used the changing tables. Too many people around, rarely look all that clean, and your wife can't help you (or vice versa) since they were always single sex. We always had a changing pad and would find some corner at an unused gate in a quiet part of the airport and use the floor. Same thing when driving. We'd never use a public restroom, just drive to the back corner of some parking lot and put the kid either in or on the trunk to change him. I suppose a train is a bit different since there is no back quiet corner, and the ADA restroom is plenty large enough for both parents to enter, but again, if it was close enough to take a train, I drove instead.