Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

Note: This was actually posted on another list, but because of the historical significance of the event, I thought it would be fitting to post it here as well...

On Metra's UPNW line, Deval was closed as a manned tower last night with the operators going to CY Tower at Clybourn. This ends an era on the former C&NW as Deval was the last manned tower outside the Chicago City limits. Approximately 100+ years of history comes to a close.

by MetraRy

end of a era for sure, however it is not the last manned tower outside the chicago limits

by doepack

That's true, but Deval was special because it was the last manned tower with a CNW pedigree. With Deval's closing, there are no more staffed towers outside Chicago with direct historical ties to the CNW...

by MetraRy

huh, intresting never knew that.

by Metra 47 607

Deval tower is still open at the moment. I heard UP Deval on my scanner last night and thismorning. The CP trains are still calling Deval when they pass Shermer.

by c604.

The operators are still around and still known as "Deval" but they are now located at CY tower in the area of Ashland and Armitage in the city.