• Detour Question

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Station Aficionado

Last week's coal-train spill on CSX near Quantico raised a question in my mind. If Amtrak had detoured one or more trains Richmond-Orange-Alexandria via Buckingham Branch Railroad and NS, I know an Amtrak train would need a pilot from the host road. On the BBR, would the pilot have to be a BBR engineer, or could it be a could it be a CSX engineer qualified on the BBR (assuming that CSX still operates its own trains across the BBR--question is void if BBR employees operate the CSX trains)? I know there were no such detours in this instance, but there were one or two earlier this year. It occured to me that since BBR is smaller operation, they might not have a lot of personnel available to pilot an Amtrak train.

Thanks.
  by Jeff Smith

Since this is a hypothetical "detour", I'm going to cross-post/move this to CSX, since it did not actually involve an actual Amtrak detour.
  by NellieBly

I believe (but am not absolutely certain) that the CSX trains operate with BBRR crews when they run over Buckingham Branch. So yes, BB would need to provide a pilot.

This is one reason Amtrak doesn't do detours as often as they once did. Not only are many alternate routes gone, but the ones that still exist are often lightly trafficked and there are simply not enough qualified crews to supply pilots for detour trains. Furthermore, two or three years ago when traffic volumes were high, crews were stretched so tight that Class Is were requiring employees to work on relief days to move the traffic. In that circumstance, where would pilots for a detouring Amtrak train come from?