• Derailment in California

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by CPSD40-2

I know this is not NY state - but I've never heard of this firm before, "Harsco Track Technologies"?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15647060/

Do they do work for CSX / NS also?

by thannon

Don't know- but they sure won't with that railgrinder anymore.

Tom H>

by RichM

If it's the same HARSCO I know...HARSCO is a publicly traded company that at one time was Harrisburg Steel (Pennsylvania). They also own Taylor-Wharton, who cast cannon balls for the American Revolution. Curently make compressed gas cylinders and other steel pressure vessels. OK, history lesson is over.
They've been successful at buying up specialty steel-making and working technologies, so it seems like rail grinding and repairs might be under their umbrella.

by SlowFreight

If I crank up the way-back machine, I think that particular Harsco grinder train used to belong to Speno and was painted orange. They powered one of the grinder trains with 2 custom-built F38's - basically a GP38-2 in an F40PH carbody with the cab windows pushed out to the nose in a sort of precursor to the Metra Winnebagoes. Later, they took two more GP38's and built cowl carbodies for them. Every time I saw Speno's locomotives, the cabs had been rebuilt with new and different configurations...

by RSD15

yes it was Speno then Pandrol/Pandrol-Jackson then Harsco.these grinding trains were custom built at Spenos shop at east syracuse ny.