Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Irish Chieftain

WABC News
PATH train derailed
No direct service between Hoboken & 33rd St

(New York - WABC, March 25, 2007) - On Sunday night, PATH train service between Hoboken and Manhattan is suspended because of a train derailment. There were no injuries but passengers did have to be evacuated.

It happened near the PATH train station in Hoboken and that's where New Jersey reporter Anthony Johnson has more.

Those 300 passengers who were on that train had to be brought to Hoboken terminal to be safe. That was not until after spending about two hours on the train in the tunnel between stations in the dark, after the train had jumped the tracks.

Now, the emergency crews were brought in to help offload the stranded PATH train passengers that were stuck in the tunnel after an axle on the car broke causing the wheels to come off the tracks.

One commuter says he felt a big jolt then came crashing down on two other passengers.

"The lights went out and a big jolt. Everybody sort of flew forward," said one of passengers, Peter Elkas said. "But, nobody was hurt."

Now, there is no direct service between Hoboken and 33rd Street over in New York City. Once again, the good news is, no one was injured.

(Copyright 2007 WABC-TV)

by Irish Chieftain

Another one on 3/28/07.

by ascotell

What is going on over there. The new switch is the issue.

by madmage

ascotell wrote:What is going on over there. The new switch is the issue.
no doubt. when i went over the tracks involved early in the am on 3-29 they were going reaaaall slow over the switch.. and there were workmen down there by the electrical stuff in the wall alcoves... probably to watch and see or something. who knows.

by ThomasW

Just been to NYC a week, I stayed in Jersey City so I used PATH 4 times a day. I wondered why the JSQ - 33 st trains went so slow after Pavonia. Every train came to a stop, then very slowly forward. I ended up taking the WTC train as it is so fast. The slow speeds, are that normal or related to the derailment?

by ericware

The slow speeds are completely normal on JSQ-33 Trains, though I could never figure out why, but always right after Pavonia-Newport and before you go under the Hudson River, you slow down to a crawl.

by protrain

The slow speeds at these points are most likely due to the merges/diverges with the tunnels to and from Hoboken, and the train has to wait for the switches to be set. This is especially evident at rush hour when there is very frequent service. Of course, the same can happen in the other direction and at the junctions between Exchange Place and Grove Street. If you look out the window you can usually spot the diverging or converging tracks.