• Deposit, NY

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by ricebrianrice

I was fishing in Deposit last night, and the best thing I caught was the SU-100 headed through about 8:00. It got me thinking:

Does Norbord ship and receive any material by rail?

by oibu

The general answer is "yes". However in recent years it has been on-and-off, so I couldn't say for sure at this particular time.

by ricebrianrice

Ok,
When they do ship, does the 99/100 service them, or is there a local that does the work.

Thanks

by oibu

Have seen it both ways; but IF Norbord is an active rail customer right now, which is definitely an "if", I'm quite sure it would be handled by teh road trains as they handle all of the other work east of Binghamton and west of Port. BEaring in mind of course that the road trains are often manned by BH- crews down to Deposit or sometimes farther...

Why so much interest in Norbord?

by ricebrianrice

I was fishing the west branch of the Delaware by Norbord last week ( I didn't catch any fish :( ), when the 100 went through. It was great being able to do both my hobbies at once. :-D

Anyway, I lost sight of the 100 after it crossed the river and I went back to fishing. Then some time later, I swore I heard the sounds of a train leaving, from the area around Norbord, but I couldn't actually see the rails because of the trees and such. That got me wondering if Norbord was a rail customer, and if so would the 100 have actually stopped there.

So from what you have said, I was probably just hearing something from the highway, and hoping it was a train. Oh well.

by brward

Was in Binghamton Saturday June 9th around 3:00-3:30 and seen BH-1 running with crew in back of the Burger King on Route 11 heading east to the yard loaded. It was a short train with 2 locos. I am not too familiar with the BH-1. Perhaps this is what you heard?

by oibu

BH-1 is just a Binghamton local crew... which means they coudl be doing anything (NYS&W calls trains by the crew... so a "BH-1" coudl be switching the yard, running a local north, doing local work, running a road train, etc.). It's possible they could have headed down to Deposit, but most likely just were heading out to 5 Mile Point/Kirkwood to switch Frito Lay, American Pipe, or add cars to the outbound road train.

Are you the same B. Ward I bumped into waiting for the BKRR to go to work at Eagle Bridge one morning last fall?

by brward

If your from New Jersey and I was having a great railfan to railfan discussion at the old Eagle Bridge station waiting for the BKRR. It was a gorgeous day as everything fell in to place for a great BKRR chase. Have you been up in the area lately? Susquehanna always seems to be elusive. Good talking to you. Do you have your pics on the net yet?

Brian

by ANDY117

The BH-1 normally does local work, and may take something up to Syracuse on the weekends. BH-2 is usually a local, but may take the SU-100 train to Narrowsburg on the weekends.

BH-3,4, and X can do pretty much anything.

by oibu

"If your from New Jersey and I was having a great railfan to railfan discussion at the old Eagle Bridge station waiting for the BKRR. It was a gorgeous day as everything fell in to place for a great BKRR chase. Have you been up in the area lately? Susquehanna always seems to be elusive. Good talking to you. Do you have your pics on the net yet? "

Yes, was up there a few weeks ago to chase the BKRR and also chased them clearing the line with the flanger back in March. I've got a few shots from the October trip on the BKRR Yahoo group.

Catching NYS&W east of Binghamton is always chancy. It does seem that you've got halfway decent odds of finding SU-100 eastbound on Sunday afternoons/evenings, I've caught them myself 3 or 4 times in the last few months and have heard about other similar Sunday sightings as well.

Other than that, usually you'll only find the east of Binghamton when something has thrown a monley wrench into the works (holiday, mechanical issues, delays, late connections, crew issues, etc.).