• Delivery and revenue service status of Silverliner V cars

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by ACeInTheHole

I'm going to go ahead and guess that the only ones not in revenue service at this point are 738 and 881-882? Or are there more testing?
  by Silverliner II

One thing is for sure, 6446 can use a 3rd car (or 4 cars if a Silverliner V set). I've had to ride that train several times over the last few weeks, all trips on Silverliner IV's, and there were enough standees that even filling the middle seats would leave a few hanging.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Silverliner II wrote:One thing is for sure, 6446 can use a 3rd car (or 4 cars if a Silverliner V set). I've had to ride that train several times over the last few weeks, all trips on Silverliner IV's, and there were enough standees that even filling the middle seats would leave a few hanging.
That's the Glenside tripper, isn't it? Good to see it doing so well. Make sure that when that happens, you put a suggestion in through the SEPTA web form. While crews are supposed to report trains with standee conditions to the control center so they can identify which trains need a longer consist, it's always good to have passenger observations backing them up.
  by ant6n

Clearfield wrote:
ant6n wrote:So SEPTA should have many more cars then at the time when they retired the silverliner II/IIIs, what are they going to do with the new capacity?
SEPTA will have record capacity. Believe it or not, the excess capacity is getting used up! Meantime, a lot less passengers standing.
Are they going to be able to keep that capacity? Or will the silverliner iv's be forced to retire before more cars can be ordered? (I hear that the PTC requirement is going to force the retirement of rolling stock for nj transit and mnrr, is that going to be a problem for SEPTA as well?)
  by Clearfield

ant6n wrote:
Clearfield wrote:
ant6n wrote:So SEPTA should have many more cars then at the time when they retired the silverliner II/IIIs, what are they going to do with the new capacity?
SEPTA will have record capacity. Believe it or not, the excess capacity is getting used up! Meantime, a lot less passengers standing.
Are they going to be able to keep that capacity? Or will the silverliner iv's be forced to retire before more cars can be ordered? (I hear that the PTC requirement is going to force the retirement of rolling stock for nj transit and mnrr, is that going to be a problem for SEPTA as well?)
I've never heard a peep about the SLIV's not being equipped for PTC. Besides, they comprise about 2/3 of the SEPTA RRD fleet.

Even of SEPTA ordered new cars today, they wouldn't be in service in time for the PTC mandate.

NJT & MNRR may have equipment that they are not equipping with PTC by choice, and that equipment will need to be retired.
  by Silverliner II

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:One thing is for sure, 6446 can use a 3rd car (or 4 cars if a Silverliner V set). I've had to ride that train several times over the last few weeks, all trips on Silverliner IV's, and there were enough standees that even filling the middle seats would leave a few hanging.
That's the Glenside tripper, isn't it? Good to see it doing so well. Make sure that when that happens, you put a suggestion in through the SEPTA web form. While crews are supposed to report trains with standee conditions to the control center so they can identify which trains need a longer consist, it's always good to have passenger observations backing them up.
Yep. 6446/4845/9858 is the cycle for that equipment. And, already done (the web form). :-)
ant6n wrote:
Clearfield wrote:
Neither NJ Transit or MNRR has any revenue service equipment that will be retired for PTC reasons. Both railroads are using ACSES for their systems and all their revenue locomotives, cab cars, and MU's will be fitted. On Metro-North, the M2/M4/M6 fleet may not be fitted with PTC since they are going to be retired by the M8's anyway. Otherwise, both railroads have no equipment even near retirement age (NJT will not have Arrow replacements for a while, nor is Metro-North quite near replacing the M3 fleet).
  by ACeInTheHole

Silverliner II wrote:
Matthew Mitchell wrote:
Yep. 6446/4845/9858 is the cycle for that equipment. And, already done (the web form). :-)
ant6n wrote:
Clearfield wrote:
Neither NJ Transit or MNRR has any revenue service equipment that will be retired for PTC reasons. Both railroads are using ACSES for their systems and all their revenue locomotives, cab cars, and MU's will be fitted. On Metro-North, the M2/M4/M6 fleet may not be fitted with PTC since they are going to be retired by the M8's anyway. Otherwise, both railroads have no equipment even near retirement age (NJT will not have Arrow replacements for a while, nor is Metro-North quite near replacing the M3 fleet).
I thought Metro North was looking at different bidders for the M-9 contract?
  by Silverliner II

jslader wrote:
beanbag wrote:I thought Metro North was looking at different bidders for the M-9 contract?
Hey, you think Rotem is in the running?!
Neither they nor the LIRR has sent out requests for bids yet. I don't even think it's in the plans for a year or two yet. Though folks on those forums would know better; it's been a month since I've been over there.

And... tongue-in-cheek comment here:

by ACeInTheHole

Silverliner II wrote:
jslader wrote:
beanbag wrote:I thought Metro North was looking at different bidders for the M-9 contract?
Hey, you think Rotem is in the running?!
Neither they nor the LIRR has sent out requests for bids yet. I don't even think it's in the plans for a year or two yet. Though folks on those forums would know better; it's been a month since I've been over there.

And... tongue-in-cheek comment here:

Yeah there's an M-9 thread bouncing around in there already with some contract procurement stuff in it, the thread is actually a few months old, I just bumped it so you can see, Im probably going to get my behind chewed out by Dutch for the post I used, Silverliner you'll owe me one if that happens=p but whatever. By the way Silverliner, must say, you commute on trains, you run them.. Don't ya ever get tired of trains? =p
  by Matthew Mitchell

879-880 are in revenue service. I rode on 880 this morning. Still needs shop time for passenger counters and cameras to be installed.
  by ACeInTheHole

Matthew Mitchell wrote:879-880 are in revenue service. I rode on 880 this morning. Still needs shop time for passenger counters and cameras to be installed.
Passenger counters? Do you mind explaining? I've never heard of this before. I mean of course it counts passengers, but I mean how does it work? I'm really curious.
  by ex Budd man

Passenger counters are small IR devices mounted at each door and log how many people board or leave the train.
  by ACeInTheHole

ex Budd man wrote:Passenger counters are small IR devices mounted at each door and log how many people board or leave the train.
Hmm.. Interesting, thanks Budd.