• Delays on the NEC this AM?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Irish Chieftain

I am getting disgusted with NJT's continuous late trains
Only way to reverse the situation is to demolish Kearny/Swift and "Secaucus Junction", at this point...those are the two major causes. That's what happens when NJ tries to squeeze the volume of rail traffic of five main lines and two branch lines onto a single corridor that was never meant to carry such traffic...

by nick11a

Irish Chieftain wrote:
I am getting disgusted with NJT's continuous late trains
Only way to reverse the situation is to demolish Kearny/Swift and "Secaucus Junction", at this point...those are the two major causes. That's what happens when NJ tries to squeeze the volume of rail traffic of five main lines and two branch lines onto a single corridor that was never meant to carry such traffic...
In fact, I think Swift works pretty good conidering the amount of traffic it sees. If they had 4 tracks into NY Penn and if the Kearny connection could connect at Swift to all 4 tracks, then things would go much smoother. And if maybe the outer two tracks would be used mainly for the MidTown direct trains so the NEC/NJCL and Amtrak trains could travel on the inner two without having to wait for a train to go through the connection, then things would really be cooking.

by Irish Chieftain

NYC keeps telling the boat to leave. Back when they first built the Bathtub, they gave themselves an opportunity to create a "union station" in lower Manhattan for commuter trains coming from NJ, but instead moved the PATH station one block west. Regrettably due to the tragedy of almost three years ago, the same opportunity has again arisen, but has not even been considered. Penn Station isn't the panacea.